Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: \windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

757 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  zootb@ss6 
#1 ·
On startup I get the above message, suggesting that the problem can be rectified by running the Windows Repair facility, so have attempted to repair xp by booting from original cd.
After selecting "R" for repair I eventually get a black screen asking me version of Windows I wish to logon to. Upon selecting "1" the C:\windows> prompt appears and after typing "help" I get a menu to select from. This is where I become lost.
The repair option as I understand matters, should ask me to accept agreement (blue screen) and then repair the system automatically.
Any help gratefully received.

#2 ·
If you want to do a repair install, you need to press Enter on the first screen, not R. After accepting the agreement, windows will scan for previous versions and should then offer to repair.

To use the Recovery Console, you would follow this procedure, but note the warning:
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
[webquote="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545"]Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.[/webquote]

Though on some systems you can access the System Volume Information folder from the Recovery Console, and can skip the step of using the Windows\Repair folder. If so, the warning won't be an issue.

HTH

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.