Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows unable to boot or repair

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  shulberry 
#1 ·
I've installed Windows 7 alongside Ubuntu and was using grub2 bootloader, after changing my graphics card and moving removing some old hard disks when I try to boot the Windows partition I get the blinking underscore screen indefinitely.

I tried recovery from the DVD, the Windows install is not recognised in the list, it's just empty, clicking load drivers I can navigate to the drive - it's there as D:, I can see the Windows directory and files, the C drive is another NTFS partition without a Windows install. As it doesn't recognise the install, startup recovery doesn't work.

I then tried bootrec and bcdedit from the command line, eventually I hit a wall with an error that there is no recognised file system - despite it being available in the Load Drivers dialog earlier.

The bootloader now seems to be the Windows one and I get the standard "No operating system" error.

Is there anything else I can try before reinstalling Windows yet again?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I was able to access the disk in the load drivers dialog so the disk was available in the BIOS.

The problem was that the partition did not have it's "active" flag set, so going to my windows/system32 install in the recovery console and running "diskpart" I was able to resolve that. Then the startup recovery could find the partition and work as normal, eventually getting my Windows installation working as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.