Solved: Windows Update and now Windows Vista looks like Windows 95??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Afug

We recently did a Windows Update to our Windows Vista Home Premium operated system.

This is the update:
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

Installation date: ‎10/‎09/‎2009 2:42 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that addresses key feedback from our customers. Windows Vista SP1 addresses specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of hardware and adds support for several emerging standards. After you install this item, you will have to restart your computer.
It says it did it on the 10th, but we actually installed it on the 9th. It always off by a day even if the date and time on our computer is right.

HOWEVER, this has changed the appearance of our system back to something that would be on a Windows 95 or earlier computer. I am very bugged by this and I'm wondering what's happened.

We installed an update for a 'Service Pack 2', hoping that it would fix this problem, but we turn on the computer this morning and nothing's changed.

The icons still have the Windows Vista look but that's about it. I would like to upload a screenshot of our desktop, to give you guys a clear understanding of what's happening however I click the attachment icon above but it doesn't do anything.

In case you need our computer's system information:

It's a HP, model SR5123WM with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 4000+ 2.10GZ, 2.00GB of RAM, and a 32-bit operating system
Do we just need to wait for future updates or change or uninstall the Service Pack 1. I'd rather not uninstall it because apparently it's 'important'. I appreaciate anyone who is willing to help.

aka Brett

Banned
it sounds like you ended up with the xp style settings
change your setting to shown in the photo,if they do not exist we will have to take it from there.
Post back

Attachments

aka Brett

Banned
click start
run......if run isnt on your menu the right click on an empty area of your task bar and select properties..select start menu and customize and add run to your menu.

next type in
services.msc

once in services make sure the following service is running....and set to automatic

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

Afug

It's telling me that it's 'Started' and that it's already set to Automatic. I tried to reset it and to Stop then Start it again, but nothing happens.

Afug

The Themes Service was disabled. I enabled it (setting it to automatic), started it and restarted Windows Explorer (explorer.exe). It's still the same.

aka Brett

Banned
We are making progress
do a reboot and see if the vista themes comes back or the settings are present to change it back.

Afug

The Vista settings were there. You are so awesome. Thank you soo much!! I really really appreciate this. I would have never been able to do this on my own. <3 :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online