[SOLVED] Windows update automatic dialing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hominy

Win98. Windows update is dialing up my ISP every five minutes.
How can I stop this behavior ?

Check your task scheduler and see if there is an item in there to dial up at regular intervals. By default it is listed in additional items, but I am not sure with a modem it is set as a scheduled task.

Hi Hominy

Sorry, I think I got the wrong end of the stick here so I've deleted the message that was here.

hominy

Thanks for the help.

I had been unable to get the latest 'critical update' so I went through the procedures in the Knowledge Base. I guess windows modified the scheduled task. I certainly did not set it to try every five minutes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online