1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update Catalog

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raybro, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Hello guys and Gals.... Got one that is a real brain twister, at least it is for me...

Please bare with me, a little history is appropriate.

On Sept 12, 2009 deleted the Dell partitions and reconfiguring the internal drive with a data partition. Moved My Docs folder to new Data partition (E:\). Updated Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D then ran scans with all three. Removed some adware cookies. Did a little more clean up and reconfiguring of stuff like Start/Programs menu and Bookmarks along with a few other minor things. Updated FF to v3.5.3. Installed AdBlocker Plus, Sourceforge Firefox Preloader and a couple of Windows Updates. Defragged both partitions, then created a new Full backup image with Acronis TI. Stored the image on my external USB HDD. Everything worked just great.

Then on Sept 20 (8 days later) I created an incremental image before trying out a utility called Sandboxie. Didn't work out, so I recovered to the incremental image.

My normal Windows Update routine goes like this. I have Windows Automatic Update turned OFF. I periodically check the Windows Update site to see if any new updates are out. If any new ones are released, I go to the Windows Catalog site, download the executable file, then install them, storing the executable files on my external HDD.

Now to the recently discovered problem and thank you for your patience.

Yesterday (Oct 8) I went to the Catalog site to download KB792260. All went normal until after I selected the place on my drive to where I wanted the file to be downloaded. I clicked the "Continue" button and got an error message identifying error code 800A01C2. (see attachment)I Googled the code and got this site. BTW...The normal Windows Update site seems to work OK.

Before I try to figure this out on my own, I thought I would post this and see if any of the experts in this area could make any suggestions as to how to proceed. There have been a number of additional changes to my drive content since all this happened, so I would like to stay in my current configuration if possible.

BTW... I created a new incremental image of my current configuration and then ran a restore to the initial full backup image made on Sept 12. In that configuration the Windows Update Catalog site download works normally.

As always, any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Raybro

Attached Files:

2. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Bump... Anybody??? Ideas???

Raybro

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

After beating my think skull against the wall, I even submitted a "Problem Report" to M$. Of course. after doing so, I found the problem. Not one the average user would run into because FEW PEOPLE ARE ON DIAL-UP LIKE I AM. :mad: :mad:

Turns out the catalog site was not fully loaded before I ran my search and proceeded to try to download. What I found was, if I waited until the page was completely loaded, a dialog box came up asking if I wanted to install Microsoft software for use with the Windows Update Catalog web site. I've been using the site for quite a while, so my guess is they released a new version and I was not installing it because I didn't know it was needed. Guess I've got quicker fingers than my dial-up internet connection can handle. :D

You would think they would have some way to let one know other than an ambiguous error code that implies something associated with VBScript. But what do I know. They are, after all, MICROSOFT.

Anyway... Problem solved and I shall mark it as such.... Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice