1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update Error 8007002-Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lafnirvana, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lafnirvana

lafnirvana Thread Starter

I cannot download this particular Windows update-Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330). I didn't figure that out until today when I went to reset Windows updates from auto to manual. When I looked at the log this file shows failed over and over from way back in 4/28/09until now.

So, is this file important? Should it be downloaded to my PC? If the answer is no then disregard the rest of this post. But if the answer is yes any help would be appreciated.

If yes, then I need some help. I am using the directions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070002 to fix error 8007002.

But I get stuck at the double click on DataStore folder. I cannot gain access. I am using administrator.
    Adobe can't read it. The message I get is-"Adobe Reader could not open DataStore.edb because it
    is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged".

When I ran Filecure it indicated "no problems". So I am at a loss as to how to access the files so I can
    delete them (per directions at link provided). :confused:

2. lafnirvana

Ok, a lot of you have looked at this question, but nobody has responded. Is it because it's not an important update? Or is it too old a problem (going back to 4/09)? Or some other reason? I can't believe no one knows the answer to my question since I've asked much more obscure questions in the past and gotten answers. So PLEASE, if someone could clarify what I'm dealing with I would offer techie sainthood upon you.

3. lafnirvana

I got my answer from CNET forums since no one from techguy answered my question. Here is a copy of the solution.

=======================================================================
    Well let me tell you the tale so that those in the future that happen upon this thread might find answers.

1) I tried to download the full online installer as suggested.

2) This time got stopped when PC security would not recognize the program and blocked it

3) I first tried disabling ALL security (McAfee and Windows)(set McAfee firewall and
    scanning to go back on after restart)

4) Error again-it read "error code 0x8007002 See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?
    linkID=101139 for details" from that error I found the following page

5) Found page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366#resolution2

6) On that page it was suggested I download "update readiness tools" The downloads are
    listed on the page (for my PC I chose 32bit running with vista os-first choice listed)

7) I downloaded and ran rediness tools and read report (found 179 errors, fixed 178)

8) I set all security off again (set McAfee firewall and scanning to go back on after
    restart)

9) Again tried to download full online installer SP1

10) It took a long time (a couple hours), but it did finally all load

11) When I read "installation was successful" I was quite happy

I'm glad I was able to find my way through the maze that is error 80070002. Thank all of you who responded with suggestions. Now I'm going to try to install Service Pack 2. If you don't hear from me again everything went well. Namaste.
    ======================================================================
    Then I posted this.

My experience: if you start out with no service packs and you want SP2, plus all the updates, plus Internet Explorer 9-you are talking a full day of downloads.
    I chose to split it into 2 days.

Day one: spent doing the steps 1-11 (previous post) to get SP1 downloaded on to my computer.

Day two:

1) checked for available updates-a TON were waiting, I'm assuming because I was
    two years behind on downloading SP1. So I downloaded all available updates
    then restarted computer.

2) Then I checked for updates again to get to SP2. I downloaded SP2. I restarted
    my computer.

3) Then I checked one more time for updates. Now all the updates that are
    available when you have SP2 showed up. And, that's right, I downloaded all
    those updates. Restarted one more time.

4) Now I have SP2, completely updated Windows Vista, and I have the most recent
    Internet Explorer-version 9.

And that is that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice