1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update Help Needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mpeet611, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I recently reinstalled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on my old laptop before i donate it to a local charity & i can't get to the windows update site. Everytime i click on Windows Update IE goes to this site instead of the Windows Update Site https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2497281 I was able to install Service Pack 3 & IE 8 by downloading them on another computer with the drivers so they are now installed. The Automatic updater installed the rest of the updates this morning without a problem but i still can't get on the update site. The support site i get instead of the windows update site says to run the windows update troubleshooter so i did that & it didn't find any problems. I don't know what else to do so any help would be appreciated.

I'm not on the xp laptop at the moment so i'll post the TSG System Info ASAP.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Well the last draw is a specific fix for IE8, however that did not work for me, so I just waited for the automatic update service to find all the updates, then I was able to install anything that was available.

However if I may make a suggestion, if the local charity is a registered non profit organization, they can get Windows 7 licenses from Microsoft, so you may want to inquire. That being the case, just give them the laptop and they can reimage it with an OS that is usable. Just saying...

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Can you get here?
    http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx

Do you see the directions?
    you must first add this website to your trusted sites in Internet Explorer.
    If you can't. I'll fire up my XP partition and see what I had to add to my trusted sites to get it to work.

I update monthly. I get the malicious malware removal tool and since I have Office 2007 installed, it shows me any applicable updates for that.

4. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I tried your link & i was redirected to the same support article i mentioned in my first post. I added the site to the trused sites list & the same thing happened when i tried again.

I'm pretty sure the automated update service installed all of the remaining updates after i installed Service Pack 3 & IE8 but i still want to know why the windows update site won't load. I think the charity i'm donating this computer to is a non profit so if they do reimage the laptop i may not worry about the windows update site not loading. I'll try asking them over the weekend.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1271 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 55788 MB, Free - 46950 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HC416
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  6. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I looked at it before the reinstall. It came in handy for downloading SP3 but you may have to change the link for IE8 because i was asked by microsoft what version of windows i was downloading for & it didn't offer xp. I had to download IE8 from filehippo.com because they had the xp installer i needed.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

I called the local charity & the person i spoke with said they would try installing windows 7 on it so i'll donate it to them "as is" on monday when i have more time to go down there.

You could always ask a site moderator to reopen the sticky so you can change the link.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That appears to be a Dell Inspiron 630m laptop.

If it is, there's going to be a few problems with switching to Windows 7.

It has a slow Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz single-core processor and only 1.25 GB(1280 MB) of RAM.

It has only a 54.48 GB capacity hard drive.

Its Intel 915GM graphics device doesn't support or have a driver for Windows 7.

It's been taken care of. (y)

------------------------------------------------------------

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you are still working on XP, the site says this
    So do all of that then see if you can update to at the very least load.

11. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

Frank, the laptop is a Dell XPS M140 not an inspiron. Is there a way to resolve those issues or no?

Liz i'll add the sites you posted to the trusted sites list & will report what happens.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell XPS M140 (late 2005)

Both model laptops have the same primary devices and support the same amount of RAM and have the same issues running Windows 7 32-bit in them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

13. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

Liz, i added the sites you posted to the trusted sites list & now i can get on the windows update site so thank for posting them.

Frank, is there any way of installing windows 7 on this machine or no?

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If it only has 1GB RAM in it, you'd need to spend additional money to upgrade it to the max, 2GB RAM.
    There are two slots and the RAM is 1.8V SODIMM DDR2.
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-m140/manuals
    I downloaded and am looking through the manual.

Running Win 7 on 1GB of RAM is painful!

Are you sure you want to spend $$$ for RAM and Windows 7. I don't think an OEM version would install on a DELL.

hmmm, even Dell only lists drivers for XP. When you select change OS
    you get 4 options:
    BIOS
    MS-DOS
    XP
    Not Applicable.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As I previously said, the processor is too slow and there's not enough RAM and the hard drive is too small and the graphics device doesn't work with Windows 7.

The processor and graphics device aren't upgradeable, so you're stuck with them.

Installing 2 GB of RAM and a larger capacity hard drive wouldn't be cost-effective.

Buying and installing Windows 7 32-bit wouldn't be cost-effective and wouldn't work right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice