Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows Update Help Needed

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
I recently reinstalled Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 on my old laptop before i donate it to a local charity & i can't get to the windows update site. Everytime i click on Windows Update IE goes to this site instead of the Windows Update Site https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2497281 I was able to install Service Pack 3 & IE 8 by downloading them on another computer with the drivers so they are now installed. The Automatic updater installed the rest of the updates this morning without a problem but i still can't get on the update site. The support site i get instead of the windows update site says to run the windows update troubleshooter so i did that & it didn't find any problems. I don't know what else to do so any help would be appreciated.

I'm not on the xp laptop at the moment so i'll post the TSG System Info ASAP.

#2 ·
Well the last draw is a specific fix for IE8, however that did not work for me, so I just waited for the automatic update service to find all the updates, then I was able to install anything that was available.

However if I may make a suggestion, if the local charity is a registered non profit organization, they can get Windows 7 licenses from Microsoft, so you may want to inquire. That being the case, just give them the laptop and they can reimage it with an OS that is usable. Just saying...

#3 ·
Can you get here?
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx

Do you see the directions?
you must first add this website to your trusted sites in Internet Explorer.
If you can't. I'll fire up my XP partition and see what I had to add to my trusted sites to get it to work.

I update monthly. I get the malicious malware removal tool and since I have Office 2007 installed, it shows me any applicable updates for that.

#4 ·
Can you get here?
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx

Do you see the directions?
you must first add this website to your trusted sites in Internet Explorer.
If you can't. I'll fire up my XP partition and see what I had to add to my trusted sites to get it to work.

I update monthly. I get the malicious malware removal tool and since I have Office 2007 installed, it shows me any applicable updates for that.
I tried your link & i was redirected to the same support article i mentioned in my first post. I added the site to the trused sites list & the same thing happened when i tried again.

Well the last draw is a specific fix for IE8, however that did not work for me, so I just waited for the automatic update service to find all the updates, then I was able to install anything that was available.

However if I may make a suggestion, if the local charity is a registered non profit organization, they can get Windows 7 licenses from Microsoft, so you may want to inquire. That being the case, just give them the laptop and they can reimage it with an OS that is usable. Just saying...
I'm pretty sure the automated update service installed all of the remaining updates after i installed Service Pack 3 & IE8 but i still want to know why the windows update site won't load. I think the charity i'm donating this computer to is a non profit so if they do reimage the laptop i may not worry about the windows update site not loading. I'll try asking them over the weekend.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1271 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 55788 MB, Free - 46950 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HC416
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

#6 ·
Just in case you need it in the future.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1128884-guide-doing-clean-install-windows.html

(Ignore post #2)

---------------------------------------------------------
I looked at it before the reinstall. It came in handy for downloading SP3 but you may have to change the link for IE8 because i was asked by microsoft what version of windows i was downloading for & it didn't offer xp. I had to download IE8 from filehippo.com because they had the xp installer i needed.

#8 ·
I called the local charity & the person i spoke with said they would try installing windows 7 on it so i'll donate it to them "as is" on monday when i have more time to go down there.

I use the majorgeeks.com site to obtain Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 (the most current version) for Windows XP SP3.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_internet_explorer_8_for_xp.html

That "sticky" is closed, so I'm not able to change the IE8 link in it.

---------------------------------------------------------
You could always ask a site moderator to reopen the sticky so you can change the link.

#9 ·
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1271 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 55788 MB, Free - 46950 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0HC416

I called the local charity & the person i spoke with said they would try installing windows 7 on it so i'll donate it to them "as is" on monday when i have more time to go down there.
That appears to be a Dell Inspiron 630m laptop.

If it is, there's going to be a few problems with switching to Windows 7.

It has a slow Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz single-core processor and only 1.25 GB(1280 MB) of RAM.

It has only a 54.48 GB capacity hard drive.

Its Intel 915GM graphics device doesn't support or have a driver for Windows 7.

You could always ask a site moderator to reopen the sticky so you can change the link.
It's been taken care of. :up:

------------------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
If you are still working on XP, the site says this
To make this site a trusted website:

1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
  2. On the Security tab, click the Trusted Sites icon.
  3. Click Sites and under Add this website to the zone, copy and paste these website addresses. You can only add one address at a time and you must click Add after each one. Note that you may need to uncheck "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone."
Note: The asterisks and different addresses allow your computer to work with the site, no matter how you try to access it from your computer or the Web.
So do all of that then see if you can update to at the very least load.

#14 ·
If it only has 1GB RAM in it, you'd need to spend additional money to upgrade it to the max, 2GB RAM.
There are two slots and the RAM is 1.8V SODIMM DDR2.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-m140/manuals
I downloaded and am looking through the manual.

Running Win 7 on 1GB of RAM is painful!

Are you sure you want to spend $$$ for RAM and Windows 7. I don't think an OEM version would install on a DELL.

hmmm, even Dell only lists drivers for XP. When you select change OS
you get 4 options:
BIOS
MS-DOS
XP
Not Applicable.

#15 ·
Frank, is there any way of installing windows 7 on this machine or no?
As I previously said, the processor is too slow and there's not enough RAM and the hard drive is too small and the graphics device doesn't work with Windows 7.

The processor and graphics device aren't upgradeable, so you're stuck with them.

Installing 2 GB of RAM and a larger capacity hard drive wouldn't be cost-effective.

Buying and installing Windows 7 32-bit wouldn't be cost-effective and wouldn't work right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 ·
Thanks for all you input. Now that i know windows 7 won't work on it i'll tell the charity what you told me & see if they still want it. Another option is to give it to my dad because he can't afford a new computer right now & the only one he has runs windows 98 so for him it would be an upgrade.
Now that the windows update site is fixed i'm marking the thread as solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.