1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update History Discrepancy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by patmac, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just took a look at my Windows update history, and it shows some "Failed" updates. Whenever an update has failed in the past, I re-tried and it worked. I checked in Add/Remove Programs, and some of the updates Windows says failed, are showing there as installed. A few are missing. The one that bugs me is, Windows Update says IE 7 failed, but I've been using IE 7 since that date. Verified this under Help in IE.
    Any ideas why the discrepancy? How do I re-try the ones that are not in Add/Remove and also do say failed?
    Thanks for your time,
    patmac

2. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

Any ideas on this would be appreciated......

3. stantley

stantley

When you download an update and it fails that entry will remain in your update history even if you try again and it succeeds. So if you see KB123456 failed and after that you see KB123456 succeeded then you're OK.

Another indication is if an update fails and you go back to the site, it will say you still need to install the update. If it succeeds it won't say you need it anymore.

Sometimes the actual KB number won't show up in Add/Remove programs (with show updates). For example I just installed .NET Framework 3.0 which is update KB928416. In Add/Remove programs it shows up as .NET Framework 3.0 but the KB number doesn't show up at all.

4. patmac

patmac Thread Starter

stantley, All is as you say. Thanks again for your time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice