1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows update problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chip1pan, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip1pan

chip1pan Thread Starter

please can anyone help. it may be nothing but all the same i thought that i would run it passed you guy's first.
    the problem is windows updates, im running window's me and as far as i am aware i have installed all of my critical updates from microsoft. the thing is i keep on getting a windows update every day but every time its the same update. ive tried installing this update but it keeps on comming back the next day for installation. paranoid i must be but i think that it may be a hacker disgiusing its self as a windows update. here is what i get to the exact word of what the update say's.

The following updates are recommended for your computer. review the list of updates and click "install" to continue.

Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commannds (KB828026)

This update contains a change to the behavior of windows media player's ability to launch url's in the local computer zone from other zone's. You can help protect your computer by installing this item, you may have to restart you computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

it might be a real update but it leave's me very suspicious. just in case i am supplying a hjt log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:23:23, on 24/01/2006
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLDIAL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\VOYAGERTEST\FTS.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGEMC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SWDOCTOR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\PERSONAL FIREWALL\MPFAGENT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ACCESSORIES\WORDPAD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL 9.0\WAOL.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL 9.0\SHELLMON.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOLTPSPD.EXE
    C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\TOOLS\IESDPB.DLL
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\TOOLS\IESDSG.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [%FP%Friendly fts.exe] "C:\Program Files\VoyagerTest\fts.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGEMC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [avgamsvr.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWARE DOCTOR\SWDOCTOR.EXE" /Q
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\CANON\EASY-WEBPRINT\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\CANON\EASY-WEBPRINT\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\CANON\EASY-WEBPRINT\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\CANON\EASY-WEBPRINT\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\TOOLS\IESDPB.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
    O16 - DPF: Texas Hold'em Poker by pogo - http://game1.pogo.com/applet-6.4.4.34/holdem/holdem-ob-assets.cab
    O16 - DPF: Dice Derby by pogo - http://game1.pogo.com/applet-6.4.4.34/checkeredflag/checkeredflag-ob-assets.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

please let me know if it is genuine and how i can install this update if it is.
    many thanx.......:cool:

2. TOGG

TOGG

It looks like a genuine, if old, update (assuming you have one of the affected versions of WMP ie:6.4, 7.1 or 9); http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8C-B176-4D3C-BE67-211DE4BF9BD0&displaylang=en

If you do need the patch, I would opt to d/l and install it later. That way you should get an .exe file that you just have to doubleclick.

I'm using 98 and always have trouble with Windows Updates, probably brcause I don't allow IE to run anything by default!

PS. Just noticed the date on the MS document is very current. My reference to the patch being old was because my Google search seemed to suggest that it first came out in Oct 2004, but I may have misread it. I can't help with the HJT log but no doubt someone will check it for you in due course.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice