1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update . . . really?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by amadeus2k8, Sep 21, 2008.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amadeus2k8

amadeus2k8 Guest Thread Starter

I don't know if this forum allows bad language or not so I will censor my words as a precaution.

I hate Windows Update I think it is one of the most pointless features of Windows, it runs taking up valuable memory, consumes my hard drive with unnecessary updates and just generally p***** me off.

I loved XP where you could switch it off and switch the Security centre off and never have to hear anything more about it. Vista on the other hand grr, you can do all that but you still get that annoying message that say oh no somethings wrong.

I mean just as a pure matter of interest I picked one of the updates at random and viewed its details and when the descripton is as follows I think you too will see why I hate this feature with a passion: [I am not making this up]

Sounds important right? Wrong, go visit the webpage on Microsoft's support site and the title of the update:

The words "Friendster," "Klum," "Nazr," "Obama," and "Racicot" are not recognized when you check the spelling in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008

Now I ask you do you or I really, really need this update? Does the title justify calling this an 'Important Update' ???? And I love Obama as much as the next guy but I don't love him with a 56.3mb download tag!!!

EDIT: Forgot to add the actual question I need an answer to;

Is there a way to disable the Security Centre in Vista and NOT have that annoying notification icon pop up every time my computer logs on?

2. Orumph

Orumph

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

My Vista is set not to auto update. You will find when you instal, its an option. The easiest way to find out how to turn it off is to read the manual. I am at work so dont have accessto a vista machine, and I cant remeber how its done although I will check when I get home, about 7 tonight with luck.

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    This is another, rather typical, unjustified criticism of Vista.
    The point about which you complain, can all be customised. It needs the minimum amount of knowledge to do so.
    If you cannot get help from sites such as this, then the Help and support in the Vista start menu will often answer your query.
    Updates:
    Control Panel - Security - Windows Update - change settings.

You may have to google for the way (easy) to turn off the Security centre, as I understand that, on this site,from a recent post of my own, that any help given to lower the security on your computer is frowned upon and would probably be deleted.

5. amadeus2k8

amadeus2k8 Guest Thread Starter

I was aware of how to turn off the automatic updates what I wanted to know was how to turn off the security centre

I have found it, its an option in security centre says "change how security centre alerts me" set it to no alerts and no icons, was the little icon in the taskbar that annoyed me.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

We do censor words, and I would HIGHLY suggest you don't attempt it again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice