1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update says I Have No New Updates...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rumball, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rumball

Rumball Thread Starter

Hi All,

OS is xp media center edition. I Have my windows update set to let me know when there are new updates to download. Now i do get updates that relate to ms office and outlook, but any updates that are windows related I do not receive.

I have been manually updating these for well over a year now. I would really like to find out and fix why win update doesn't find these critical updates automatically.

When sp3 came out I had a heck of a time getting it to work with this desktop and it is possible it had something to do with this problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you
    Eric

2. MrExpert

MrExpert

Note: The Automatic Updates feature will only check for High-priority updates. Automatic Updates will not download and install Optional updates. You will need to return to the Windows Update site regularly to select and install Optional updates.

To turn on Automatic Updates in Windows XP

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Automatic Updates.
    3. Choose Automatic (recommended).
    Note: You can also turn on Automatic Updates from the Windows Update website.

3. Rumball

Rumball Thread Starter

Yes, I know how to turn on automatic updates. The problem is it doesnt find any critical updates when there are critical updates

Eric

4. petan

petan

5. Rumball

Rumball Thread Starter

Maybe I should try this again....

When I run windows update it shows that I have 0 high priority updates to download. The problem is there ARE high priority updates it should be finding.

I use trend micro internet security as my antivirus, etc and it shows me the windows vulnerabilities (HIGH PRIORITY UPDATES) that my computer needs and I have to manually install them.

I would like windows update to find these updates so I dont have to continually manually download and install them.

Eric

6. petan

petan

I ment windows update (the service) it can be updated as well or you can uninstall it and install again

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

8. Rumball

Rumball Thread Starter

Thanks TheOutcaste,

I tried the fix it program under default and the aggressive option. Still shows no high priority updates. I did have a command box pop up while the fixit was running and it read....

C:\WINDOWS\system32\netsh.exe
    The following helper DLL cannot be loaded NAPMONTR.DLL.
    The following helper DLL cannot be loaded DOT3CFG.DLL.

The box went away quickly and I received no other error msgs

Thanks
    Eric

9. huggie54

huggie54

Hey Rumball,done some diggin read this.
    4. From Winver: Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111 : Service Pack 3)

As I suspected, the computer has a (very early) beta build of SP3 installed. Uninstall it, reboot twice, then install WinXP SP3 Final [1] & reboot twice again.

WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldro...requisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install all critical security updates (only) offered; follow all prompts. Afterwards, do another CUSTOM scan to make sure you've not missed any.

10. Rumball

Rumball Thread Starter

Thanks Huggie54,

That sounds like a winner...I will have to wait until prob Tuesday to do this, no time right now. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    Eric

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

That version number in Winver is valid, and does not indicate that SP3 is not the final release; actually, it doesn't indicate anything about what Build of SP3 is installed.
    I have several systems with that exact same version number, both XP Home and XP Pro. It indicates the install was done with an RTM disk, then SP1 or SP2 was installed, then SP3.

To check the SP version number, go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools and run System Information.
    Check the Build number on the Hardware Abstraction Layer line. SP3 is 5512.
    If it not 5512, then definitely uninstall and re-install SP3.
    Even if it is correct, uninstalling and re-installing SP3 might fix it though, as it appears some files are missing or corrupt:
    The Fixit runs Netsh to reset the Winsock network stack. Those messages means it was unable to load those dlls, so it wasn't able to do the reset.

I'd first try running SFC /SCANNOW from a Command Prompt (Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type cmd, press Enter) to see if it can replace those files, and to find any others that may be corrupted.
    See this article for info on running SFC:
    Scannow SFC

Attached Files:

12. Rumball

Rumball Thread Starter

Thanks TheOutcaste, I tried the SFC / SCANNOW but it did not help.

I was able to remove sp3 and reinstall it (after 4 long hours) but it worked!
    Update is working fine now!Many thanks to Huggie54 and TheOutcaste!!!!!!

Thanks again
    Eric

13. huggie54

huggie54

Hey Rumball,good to here, Huggie54 g/luck.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice