1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update shows no updates needed on a fresh install of XP- no way!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by webzter, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Just did a fresh install of Window XP. Went to Windows Update to get current and scan came back clean- nothing needed, not even sp2- NO WAY! I must need a ton of updates, patches, etc- how do I determine what I need in order to get current when MS's own scan says I don't need anything?

Any help would be appreciated!
    thanks
    WEBZ

2. Dan O

Dan O

I would start by downloading SP2 and install it. It may fix the Windows update capable, as it updates the security and many other functions.

3. bingo24

bingo24

webzter check the Windows update log %WINDIR%\WindowsUpdate.log, look to see if your system has the correct date and time in your area. Make sure these Services are running System Restore, RPC, and Cryptography Service, recheck your Security and Privacy Settings in IE. Just a few things I can think of at the moment, if I come across anything else I will post.

4. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Dan....good idea... presuably its ok to install ahead of earlier update installs- no sequence issues?
    Bingo... all checked out-
    thank you both!

5. Dan O

Dan O

Yes, SP2 includes all the required previous updates.

6. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

oddly enough, I just went to set-up autoupdate (this is a new pc and I just finished installing xp) and all the missing updates loaded- problem is, the titles and descriptions are listed as usual, but each of the updates, where the file size is listed, shows zero and the total download time for some 34 files is zero, so it appears that the the list was generated but without the actual file loading- any suggestions either how to rerun the update process or get the missing files back? I could load each file manually, but that would take forever- thanks

7. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

did a file serch for windows update- wanted to see if the updates listed had actually been downloaded- or just the list of found update titles. Looking in windows, I found them all- they appear to be intact and complete- they just seem to be incapable of being loaded from the Update app itself. also, in reading some of the comments on the Update file log (located in windows file) It appears there's definately something wrong with the way Update had been set-up when the app was originally installed -

8. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

One other thing I came accross while trying to locate an unrelated missing drive, and if it's not a problem in and of itself, it may be related to the Update problems I am experiencing... I came accross the following in a file search..." WINDOWS CANT FIND MSETUP4.EXE....THIS PROGRAM IS NEEDED FOR OPENING FILE TYPES CALLED "FILES"...."
    then the message further suggested finding another program that will open these files...now this appears to be a "PF-type" file. And if I can recall, the update files I can list but cant load are also these "PF-type files"- could there be a relationship here? I think this is a "PREFETCH"-related issue, and I haven't a clue as to how to go about resolving it- hope this additional info is useful- I don't have a clue at this point- thanks again

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Right click on my computer, then go to properties, (from the start menu) what does it say there?

10. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hi Candy... thanks for replying...are you looking for XP info?

11. ~Candy~

Yes, what does the version there show?

Just XP?

12. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Damn!!!!! (SORRY!) but as soon as I looked at it, I kinda knew what you were looking for and why- I was even going to do the install of it as you can see early on in this thread, but I didnt know if it was ok to jump ahead of all the existing, older update files because I had heard the sequence of how these updates are downloaded is critical...ok...you know it says 1 and it should be 2, RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. ~Candy~

So, as was mentioned prior, have you tried to install 2?

14. ~Candy~

As a general rule, when I do installs, if I am starting with an XP SP1 disk, I load SP2 right away, then get online and do the updates. Once you have all of the updates, if you have an imaging program, make an image of the hard drive. Next time you start fresh, it's a time saver :)

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I know you just installed Windows XP but there is one other thing that might shed a little light on this. I would like you to do the following:

This program will verify whether or not Windows XP Home/Pro is legal or not Legal.
    Please download this from Microsoft and run it on your computer
    Filename = WGADiag2.exe
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    Press "Copy to clipboard" and post the results here

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/469613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice