Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows Update Site Not Working

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
The other day i installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack on my mom's computer & i knew it had some security updates so i went to the Windows Update Site & it loaded an error message instead of the normal site. At first i thought the site may be down so i loaded the site on my xp laptop & to my surprise it loaded normally. The windows automatic updater found the security updates for the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack the next day & installed them so i know that still works. Below is a screenshot of the windows update site on my mom's computer.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1013 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 234982 MB, Free - 205862 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RY007
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I usually update Windows XP Pro SP3 every "Patch Tuesday" by loading the Windows Update site and then doing a scan.

The Windows Update site displayed a "Error code: 0x80248015" message, so I wasn't able to do a scan.

The Windows Update yellow shield then appeared in the taskbar and displayed 9 high-priority updates for this month and allowed me to install them.

This is the first time that this issue has occurred for me, so I don't know what caused it.

---------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I usually update Windows XP Pro SP3 every "Patch Tuesday" by loading the Windows Update site and then doing a scan.

The Windows Update site displayed a "Error code: 0x80248015" message, so I wasn't able to do a scan.

The Windows Update yellow shield then appeared in the taskbar and displayed 9 high-priority updates for this month and allowed me to install them.

This is the first time that this issue has occurred for me, so I don't know what caused it.

---------------------------------------------------------
Same thing for me.

#5 ·
I just loaded Windows XP Pro SP3 in my second desktop and had the same issue.

The Windows Update site displayed the same 0x80248015 error message, then the yellow shield appeared in the taskbar and announced the new updates, then I selected and installed them.

My third desktop is being stubborn and not displaying the yellow shield, so it hasn't received the March 2015 updates yet.

Attachments

#7 ·
Phantom010 / mpeet611:

If you want to give it a try, this "fix" worked for me in the problem desktop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Go here to download and save the MUWEB.CAB file.

When you extract its contents, MUWEB.DLL file (version 7.6.7600.256) will appear.

Go into the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder of Windows XP SP3.

Rename the current MUWEB.DLL file (version 7.6.7600.257) to MUWEB.DLL.OLD

Copy the downloaded saved MUWEB.DLL inside that folder.

Close that folder.

Load the Windows Update site.

It should work properly now and the Windows Update yellow shield should appear in the taskbar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
I can see you're still downloading those WEPOS and POSReady updates. Haven't read about those in a long time. Microsoft has never confirmed if the updates were working for XP, and I'm sure they're still not recommending them. Microsoft will certainly never tell you to go ahead with the updates. It's not in their best interest... Any official opinion, other than the one from Microsoft? Have you found problems with any of the updates? I still haven't tried the hack on my XP computer.

#9 ·
I've been using the registry edit in my computers and in others that I service that run Windows XP Pro SP3.

I install all the high-priority updates (IE8, POSReady, etc.) that are released every month.

Windows XP Pro SP3 has been working fine in all of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
I've been using the registry edit in my computers and in others that I service that run Windows XP Pro SP3.

I install all the high-priority updates (IE8, POSReady, etc.) that are released every month.

Windows XP Pro SP3 has been working fine in all of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------
But do those updates really help? That's the question we aren't sure about.

#13 ·
Try this first:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2714434

It's the Windows Updates Troubleshooter for XP
Phantom010 / mpeet611:

If you want to give it a try, this "fix" worked for me in the problem desktop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Go here to download and save the MUWEB.CAB file.

When you extract its contents, MUWEB.DLL file (version 7.6.7600.256) will appear.

Go into the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder of Windows XP SP3.

Rename the current MUWEB.DLL file (version 7.6.7600.257) to MUWEB.DLL.OLD

Copy the downloaded saved MUWEB.DLL inside that folder.

Close that folder.

Load the Windows Update site.

It should work properly now and the Windows Update yellow shield should appear in the taskbar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ran the windows update troubleshooter that was posted in the first reply & it fixed something but not the site so i did flavalee's fix & it worked :) now i can get on the windows update site again. I'll post a screenshot of the log that was created by the windows update troubleshooter so you can see what it fixed. The reason why i can't post the actual log is because it's in HTML Format & only opened in my web browser.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.