Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows Update "The page failed to load"

7K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  tacoman359 
#1 ·
Legitimate copy of Win Vista Ultimate SP1, all updates through last week ...

When I attempt to open Windows Update, I get an error message "The page
failed to load".

A google search found nothing but the suggestion to delete "System32", am I'm not going there!

#3 ·
Yeah, I knew the System32 Deletion was not the answer and that it would actually destroy the operating system.

Yes, I am trying to access Win Update through the start menu and I also tried to open it through the Control Panel (in two separate places ...the Windows Update Icon and the Security Center Icon). Each gets the same error. And the only firewall installed is the Windows Firewall which comes with the OS.

#4 ·
Check your hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. Open it with Notepad and look for anything suspicious, maybe something with Microsoft or Windows on the line. If it just shows an IP and no host name, copy the ip and paste it into IE or Firefox and if it leads you to a Microsoft website, remove that line. If your hosts file is massive, upload it here and I'll look at it.

#5 ·
The log is much too long to post and I find no way to attach the file. It appears the only things in it were added by Spybot, Search and Destroy.

Sudden thought ... today I installed the Xerobank Browser. Could that have caused the problem?

I shall immediately uninstall it and see if that solves this!

#7 ·
XeroBank Browser was the problem. i don't know why, but uninstalling it and rebooting solved the problem.

The new version installed was 2.0.0.14a. The browser is a version of Firefox and, similar to Tor, allows anonymous browsing. I've used it before and never had this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.