1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Update won't install some updates (XP or Windows 7 on same machine)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dayjo, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dayjo

Dayjo Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been running XP on my machine for several years and the latest reinstall went very smoothly until I updated my bios. It may be unrelated to updating my bios but this seems to be the only change I had made at the time. It prevented a lot of applications from running, from Windows Live Messenger, to various games e.t.c.

I assumed it was to do with my bios, so I pulled the battery out of the motherboard (also shorted the 3 pin switch thing). This didn't seem to make any difference.

I recently installed Windows 7 (x86) on the same hard drive and partition, expecting this to cure the problem and start fresh, however Windows 7 seems to be having a similar problem in that I get errors on Windows Update (8007065E,800B0100 and 80070003). I've tried manually installing some of the failed updates too and just get a "failed" message.

This makes me assume that it's either still a problem with the bios, or perhaps with my hard drive.

Does anyone know of any software I can use to perhaps scan for issues with the hard drive, or with the bios?

Regards,

2. Dayjo

Dayjo Thread Starter

Well, after trying all the fixes available on the internet for those particular error codes to no avail, I ran Kill Disk on the partition, re-installed Windows 7 and it appears to be running smoothly, with all service packs and updates installing fine :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice