Solved: Windows Update

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SilverSurf

Hello All

Have just reinstalled XP but cannot locate the windows update site, can anyone help please.

Regards SilverSurf

SilverSurf

Hello All

I don't want service packs just all the windows updates after reinstalling XP.

Regards SilverSurf

the service packs are updates

you can go to your control panel, click windows update and you should still get all updates that were available up to when support ended.

plodr

Liz
If you do not install SP3, MS will offer no updates for XP. So, you have to install SP3 for the update site to function.

MS dropped complete support for XP SP2 and lower July 10 2010. If you go to the site all you will see is no updates available.

SilverSurf

Hello All

I think you are misunderstanding me. I reformatted my hard drive, carried out a fresh install of Windows XP SP3. Now I want to download all the updates that were available up until Microsoft ended support for XP.

Regards SilveSurf

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Have just reinstalled XP but cannot locate the windows update site
Liz didn't misunderstand you. This is what you said in post #1. There's no mention of SP3.

--------------------------------------------------------

Have you read my Windows XP install guide in this section? There are certain steps to go through before you can get Windows Update to work.

--------------------------------------------------------

SilverSurf

Hello flavallee

Thanks for your response. I have SP3 and have downloaded IE8 and the update from your guide but still cannot get to windows update site. Any suggestions.

Regards SilverSurf

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Once you get to step #6, you should be able to get the Windows Update site to load.

If you can't, install the current version of Adobe Flash Player (Internet Explorer - Download EXE Installer), then try to load the site again.

It's been several months since I did a clean install of Windows XP SP3 and went through all the steps, so there may be new issues and roadblocks to doing it now that I'm not aware of.

-----------------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
I can't track down what I posted about so I deleted what I said.

Last edited:

SilverSurf

Hello All

Well, the problem with getting to the Windows Update site was solved simply by turning on Automatic Updates. That downloaded the required data to access Windows Update, and I have now installed everything I wanted. Thanks to all who offered their help.

Regards SilverSurf

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Well, the problem with getting to the Windows Update site was solved simply by turning on Automatic Updates. That downloaded the required data to access Windows Update, and I have now installed everything I wanted. Thanks to all who offered their help.
:) (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online