1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows updates (~Windows Update Catalog)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pazkaw, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pazkaw

pazkaw Thread Starter

I've a computer with Windows XP Pro, which is not connected to the internet. Now, I want to update it in order to be all up-to-date and secured again. So I don't mean by just downloading SP2, but by installing all security patches available ever since!
    So I need to download everything first, burn it on CD, and then install the patches on my other computer. No problem. But the problem is: where can I download all those updates?! I've searched all over the net, and all I found was softwarepatch.com; it only contains english updates, and since I've a Dutch version of XP installed, those won't work. Simply changing the urls from xxx-ENU.exe to xxx-NLD.exe doesn't work either, different languages of the same patch seem to be hosted under a whole other url.
    So I was wondering whether any of you guys have a list of links to Dutch Windows XP Professional updates, or an all-in-one package. Because other updates than the SP2 'Network installation' don't seem to be directly downloadable for the PC in the Dutch language, but using the windows-update page.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I never use Windows Update myself, but here is one thing suggested to try:

ref: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_update.htm

edit my first visit there in a long time does not find that option; however you may find "Administrator" options which will take you to a Windows catalog site containing direct downloads for XP updates:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

ps: if it tells you you are not logged on as Administrator, be sure to allow the Active X install -- on my SP2 system it produced a warning prompt which had to be allowed through.

What I do, on the other hand is use the Hotfix checker to identify needed updates -- it usually provides links to most but not always all, current updates that can be downloaded directly and saved to permanent folder:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

3. pazkaw

pazkaw Thread Starter

Thanks alot, Rollin'Rog! Just downloaded some updates by using the "Windows catalog", it all seems to be going nice and smooth. I'll try the Hotfix checker later on, sounds very promising and useful as well.
    Great help! (y)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome, glad to help. You motivated me to actually have a visit to Windows Update, first in a couple of years, to see what they are doing with it :)

5. NotRite²

NotRite²

Well I too have been trying off and on for awhile, and just cannot find the individual critical updates that came out AFTER SP2. I get asked to update several pcs and have the Microsoft Security Update CD, a Microsoft SP2 CD, and even the Windows Update Internet Pack CD. Which makes for easy and qiuck updating. All of which I got from M$ for free. LOL. Anyway when I follow Rog's directions, all I find listed is 20 critical updates, that are all dealing with languages, which I don't need. I have kept up with all the critical updates that have come out SINCE the release of SP2, and have like 35 of them. Please someone help this apparently blind and inept person find these updates so that I can burn them to a CD for yet another "quickie" Update CD.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you tried using the Hotfix checker? It will generally give you direct links to any needed updates:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

This is a new version that uses the Windows Update catalog. I haven't tested it, but the old one always gave me direct links to updates.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/380275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice