1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows updates

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mr. Newton, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    I have to manually download windows updates because my computer won't do it automatically. I am having a b..ch of a time finding a site where i can download all the patches at once,in fact I can't find a site where I can do that,,I keep getting directed to this page or that page with a description of the patch.
    I've been to the microsoft site, but it gets real confusing is really is of no help..
    i just want 1 page i can go to & download all the patches at one time.

Is it possible?

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Make sure your in IE browser and go to the Tools in the menu bar. Click Microsoft updates. It's going to put you through the verification of your OS and once that's done as it finishes it's download install restart go back to Tools and update until their all done.
    Takes a while but it finishes and your up and running. Wind XP sp3 is also there. Jazz

3. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    that doesn't work..My system gets scanned for latest updates then tells me there are none & my system is up to date,which it is not.
    I have done some command line stuff to stop automatic updates then install a missing dll & then turn automatic updates back on but nothing i have tried has worked.
    That is why I have to download them manually & install them myself.
    So i just want a 1 page download site of critical updates.
    I have tried the Microsoft download site but i keep getting definitions or redirected to another page & not a download button.
    My automatic updates does not work.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Sounds to me like you need to do a system recovery or repair with your CD OS. Jazz

5. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    I did do a sfc scannow using my Windows cd,but that didn't help.
    My install disk is service pack 1 & i have no idea how to do a reformat reinstall,nor do i wish to attempt it.
    All i need is the web page where i can download the patches myself,where there is a button that say's download critical patches & gives the patch # or not even the #,just download patches from 1 page. I did download the important patches but could not find the download for the critical patches,only got redirected to definitions.
    I posted this same question last month but was unsuccessful in getting an answer that worked so i thought i'd try again,since i can't get October's patches downloaded automatically.

6. TOGG

TOGG

Have you tried the Catalog site?; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166

I used it successfully when I still had '98 and all was well, (as long as you knew the KB numbers of the patches you needed!)

PS. Just re-read your last post. The only way I can think of obtaining the KB numbers would be to check the monthly summaries that MS issues. Belarc Advisor or the Secunia Online Software Inspector will tell you if you are missing patches but I don't know if they include numbers. You need an up to date version of Sun Java to use the Secunia inspector; http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/

7. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks TOGG,,that seems to be the answer.I had been to that site before but forgot about it.Had to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox.
    I had deleted Belarc from my system, a while back,,would it fix the problem if i reinstalled it?

8. TOGG

TOGG

Belarc Advisor can't actually influence the update process, it just checks your current status (as long as you update Belarc every month!).

I used to be able to collect updates using Firefox with the IETab extension but that has stopped working for some reason, so now I have to fire up IE once a month.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice