1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows users needs help with a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Bunnyzilla, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bunnyzilla

Bunnyzilla Thread Starter

My boss just gave me his deceased father's MacBook Pro. I haven't used a Mac since my blazing 225Mhz PowerMac in the 90's. Is there a good site or resource I can go to on the ins and outs of Mac usage? I don't know how old this machine is - it's running Snow Leopard (and I have no idea what the current/latest OS is for Macs).

Another question I have is about creating accounts. I obviously don't know his father's password. Would it be better to reset everything, and if so, how do I do that?

2. Headrush

Headrush

If I were you I would do a clean install using the OS X DVD.

Just put the DVD in, hold the 'c' key while booting. Once the disc boots, use the Disk Utility program listed under the Utilities menu to reformat the HD. Once you exit this program you will return to the installer. Just follow the on screen instruction at that point.

3. Bunnyzilla

Ok, will do.

Is there any software anyone recommends I install? For my Windows machines, I have anti-virus, malware, anti-spyware installed. What should go on a Mac?

4. Headrush

Headrush

Sophos has a free Mac client you can install for antivirus protection. (although some will debate if you need it)

Other than that, just smart web browsing habits is all you'll likely need.

5. Bunnyzilla

Love the Mac. Some things take a bit of getting used to, but it's a great machine.

6. tompatrick

tompatrick Banned

Latest Mac OS X version is 10.7.2
    Check out on http://www.apple.com/mac/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice