1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows version not genuine?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Empire2500, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Empire2500

Empire2500 Thread Starter

Its wierd because I was on the point of getting Windows defender (or formely known as Microsoft anti-spyware) and i had to go through a key validation test,Unfortunately it didnt pass,I wonder why.

My computer started off with Windows ME and then I had my uncle come over and install Windows XP Pro on my computer (a couple o' years back) and so everything worked fine,untill now.

Do u think i shouldve bought my own XP cd? or is there something we can fix?

If someone bothers to explain why it wouldnt work I'd greatly appreciate it!:D

2. snooker

snooker

Well its pretty simple , Do you understand one license windows xp version for ONLY one computer ?

3. Empire2500

Oh,

But how would the Cd recognize that.I dont understand THAT part

4. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

I think basically that Microsoft expects the Windows XP installation you have came from a CD that you bought and registered.

This Genuine Advantage thingy is a aimed at tightening down on pirated software especially on the new upcoming OS.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The CD doesn't have anything to do with it. The license key does. Microsoft is reading yours and saying it's already been used on another system or is counterfeit. The fact that your uncle installed Windows XP for you and never gave you a CD is a pretty good indication that he probably used his own copy and installed it on your computer as well. That's illegal. If you want to keep using Windows XP, you'll have to buy a copy.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Microsoft did introduce a program where they would replace a pirated copy of XP if it was unknowingly acquired and you will find the details of that offer at this link. I think the best thing for the member to do is to contact Microsoft and they may be able to help the member out.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-25WGA1PR.mspx

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I doubt this applies when a relative "fixes" your computer by installing an operating system illegally. It's not like the original poster purchased a computer with a pirated copy of Windows.

8. Empire2500

errr....no....

Well everything was working fine with the XP the only thing im not able to install (from my knowledge so far) is windows defender....but i dont really mind,even though it would be good to have it since its a free ware

9. Empire2500

Anyways lets not get into and argument...problem solved

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice