1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Vista Crashes with 4GB of RAM

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by EnfoToad, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EnfoToad

EnfoToad Thread Starter

Hey guys. I recently finished building my PC :)

There is one problem. I have Windows Vista Home Prem. 64-bit and 4GB of RAM. When I only put in one stick (2GB) then it works fine. But when I put in the second stick (2GB) it does not work and crashes. Does anyone know how to fix this. I am currently getting all 52 updates for my PC and Service Pack 1.

Thank you for all the help!

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

Try switching the sticks to see if it is a faulty stick, and if it isn't make sure the sticks are in the first two slots rather than spread apart.

3. EnfoToad

EnfoToad Thread Starter

My 4 memory slots are dual channeled. So what I do is keep one on each set of two (both are on the blue colored ones on the EVGA 680i T1).

4. tacoman359

tacoman359

Have you tried switching the sticks to make sure neither of the sticks are faulty?

5. EnfoToad

EnfoToad Thread Starter

Yes! they both work perfectly fine.

6. EnfoToad

EnfoToad Thread Starter

Does anyone know if Service Pack 1 takes care of this problem?

7. virox

virox

I would try running the memory test (a new functionality built into the recovery options of Vista). When you boot, press F8 to enter the boot selection menu, and choose the recovery mode. Depending on your install, you may need to insert your Vista install or manufacturer recovery disk. From the menu that comes up, run the memory test and see what results you get. You may want to run one test with one stick of RAM in, then another with the other stick in, then finally another scan with both in.

8. EnfoToad

EnfoToad Thread Starter

Got it working. There must be a update in Windows Vista SP1 that fixes this.

9. virox

virox

Awesome =)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/714873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice