1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Vista eating up all of my disk space

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by KodataRick, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KodataRick

KodataRick Thread Starter

Hello,

Today I have started to experience a problem with low disk space. Actually ZERO bytes of disk space.
    I can restart my system and check the free disk space and it will show 14 GB, then check it a minute later and it will show 13GB, and on and on until it completely runs out of space, and causes me all kinds of problems. I even copied 20GB of iTunes music off to an external drive and as fast as it was moving the files off, it was using up the free space.
    I don't know what is going on, can anyone shed some light on my possible problem?
    Thanks
    Rick

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The system restore points and all of you temp files are eating up your disk space.

If the 14 gig is 10%or more of you C drive size, the it (the drive) is way to small.

When you delete these files, have you been emptying the Recycle bin?

3. KodataRick

Yes, the recycle bin is empty.
    What I don't understand is that when I restarted my computer, before freeing up the extras 20GB and the desktop settled down, I check my space and it showed 14GB, and then it starts to disappear right before my eyes.
    I am going to do another restart and will report back.
    Thanks for your comments

4. KodataRick

Ok, restarted system, came up with 40GB free space on 120GB hard drive. That was an hour ago.
    Now I have 8.46GB of free space remaining and the hard drive light has not slowed up one bit. Something
    is writing out alot of data and it will, in a few minutes, consume all of the remaing free space. What the heck is happening to me.
    Also, I will mention that a couple days ago I download and installed a 15 trial version of Carbonite, and spent a couple hours this morning with their tech support folks trying to uninstall it. This is no doubt the start of my problems.
    thks

5. KodataRick

Went to bed last evening with ZERO bytes free space on drive c:, leaving the computer on. When I awoke this morning, I had 5GB of stable free space. I then did a restart, and now I have 50GB and the hard drive light is not continuously flashing and free space is not diminishing. I don't get it but whatever was happening with Windows Vista consuming free hard drive space has stopped. Maybe poltergeist that had enough fun and decided to move on.
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice