1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Vista Home Premium won't install

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Incarna, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Incarna

Incarna Thread Starter

Ok, so here's the story. I'm working on my boss's computer from the store. He is running this config:

Windows Vista Home Premium
    eMachines GT5404
    Intel Pentium D Processor 915
    250 GB Sata II HD
    1024 MB RAM

He said Microsoft Update popped up with 1 important update so he went ahead and updated it. On reboot it started with a black screen and some numbers came up like it was scanning files, and on one of the DLL files it would stop with some 0x000C14F or something error. Rebooted again and it came up with Startup Recovery, so he went ahead and went through with it and let it do it's thing. It came up with an error saying it could not complete because of a bad driver. So he rebooted and it came up with it again. No matter how many times he would reboot it'd want to do start startup recovery. If he would start windows normally the numbers would show, but it'd be a different error and different file each time.

Also, booting into Safe Mode will not work (same thing happens). Last Known Good Configuration does not work due to the same problem. I recommended a clean install after I was able to grab his important files off the HD with SystemRescueCD. However, each time I insert the eMachine's restore CD and click on "Install Now" at the OS install screen, it would go to "Please Wait..." and the mouse icon would turn to an hour glass. This is where it stops and won't go any further, I've tried multiple times. I even went as far as hooking up the HD to another computer and restoring it that way with the disk but to no avail. I also tried a separate OS install cd and it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to what the heck is happening and how I could fix it or get a workaround? Thanks for any help.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

It could be 2 things, the HD is failing. or Ram is failing.

To check out the RAM, go download memtest : http://www.memtest.org/ ,boot the CD and run it overnight.

To check out the HD, boot with the Vista DVD and get to the recovery command prompt, then run 'chkdsk /f'

3. Incarna

Incarna Thread Starter

I've done a memory test and it's passed all the stages I put it through. I'm starting to think it's the HD myself. How do I get into the recovery command prompt using the Vista DVD? When I click on the "Repair my System" or whatever it goes into the Select Your Operating System, which I do, and click next. But it automatically goes to the Startup Recovery and won't let me choose anything else.

4. Incarna

Incarna Thread Starter

Ok, I just tried a completely different HD and the Vista Install proceeds to the next step and does not freeze. I'm going to say it's definitely the old HD failing since I've exhausted every other option.I've notified the boss and he told me to go ahead and order another one since it's only about $43 on Newegg with free shipping. Thanks for the help lunarlander!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice