1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Vista installation freezes at "completing installation&q

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jtun, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtun

jtun Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I have a problem installing Windows Vista. The installation process works fine until after the 1st reboot that goes to "completing installation". It completely freezes at that point and after 1 hour or so goes to a black screen where i can see nothing but my mouse pointer.

I just got my laptop 2 days ago and it's brand new Vista compatible. In fact it came with Vista installed and it was working perfectly fine until I decided to reformat it so that I could check if my new hd i tried installing was the main reason for this installation failure.

I saw a post with similar problems explaining that the BIOS was in need to be updated, but my BIOS is up to date and vista compatible.

My laptop specs are as follows:

Inspiron 1720, Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2.2GHz, 800Mhz, 4M L2 Cache
    2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600
    17.0 inch Wide Screen UXGA+ TLLCD
    Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem,
    8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
    Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy
    Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini Card

Can someone please help me out! Thanks.

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Sounds like a hardware issue, take it back to shop and complain that your new PC isn't working as advertised.
    Are you installing on the PCs orginal HD or a new HD? If a new HD, maybe the new HD is the problem!

3. jtun

jtun Thread Starter

I tried installing windows vista onto the the new hd, it didn't work. So i tried installing vista onto the hd that came with the computer and it still did not work. So i don't think it's the hd.

All i know is that Dell offered to give me a system recovery cd that's supposed to work i guess, but i feel it's weird that i can't install vista the "normal" way.

4. djangojazz

djangojazz

Dell is the problem, They don't make much stuff that works with Vista unless you buy it from them. I have the same problem with my Dell on my three office PC's Dell Optiplex's GX260's, and my home system Dimension 4600. But..... mine were older yours is brand new? I don't know what setting it is something with recognizing a drive that isn't a dell preinstalled HDD, because the only time I could install Vista ever seemed to be on the POS maxtor 80 gig that came with my system. When I had a Western Digital 120 gig it did the same thing.

The sad thing is that no one seems to stand up and have an answer and I've learned to just not try it on a dell. You may get farther if you boot into safe mode, which I've heard works for some but mine stopped me short and said I could not continue install in safe mode. Optimally you want to boot from disk and install but the weirdest things on most Dell's I have seen is that you get the curtain and not the 2 options others see like install or memory diagnostic.

I asked a teacher that had a 2000 MCSE, CCNA, Comptia A+ Network+, here, 2 other boards, Dell's boards. Pretty much I only got responses from people assuming I was seeing things that happen when the disk functions but it does not always. Anyways I know it's a pain but I would suggest going to Dell's boards for your system first seeing if their is a way to flash your BIOS or some other update to make it work. That's just me but I would be curious what you find out, I get dead ends and am still wanting a dual install of XP and Vista on the same machine.

Also try this:

http://www.vistabootpro.org

It's a great little GUI program to manipulate your Vista Boot Log, which is great when there is trouble installing or you want to dual boot. Mostly because with Vista MS decided to get rid of the boot.ini file and go with something else, bcdedit.exe.

Good luck!

5. malloc

malloc

Try downloading Serial ATA: Intel Turbo Memory, Driver, Windows Vista 32-bit from dell.com (Downloads - Drivers - Serial ATA) and installing it at the drive select screen in the Vista install. Use the Install Driver button.

Happy reinstalling.

6. Natepc

Natepc

I have the exact same issue, have any of these helped solve it yet?

Nate

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well I don't know the solution to this necessarily but the thought that one hard drive will install a dell OS and another will not is absurd. A hard drive is a hard drive.
    I still don't understand why you reformatted a new Laptop with Vista on it, but by any chance had you added new ram to it?

8. Natepc

Natepc

I wanted a clean install, instead of having a whole bunch of things I didn't want. I was annoyed when I discovered 3 differnt connectivity offers and Google Desktop on my machine. I added nothing to it, no new hdd, no new RAM, just reformatted the hard drive.

9. malloc

malloc

Guys, seriously. Im posting this from my freshly reformatted 1720 which arrived 3 days ago. This is a simple driver issue that can be solved by googling. Im suprised theres this much discussion.

Download the SATA drivers or disable SATA in your BIOS.

Or keep debating some unrelated hardware changes.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Could easily be a sata driver issue where you need to install a driver with F6 but I thought all that was over with Vista.

11. Natepc

Natepc

What I was mainly asking for was a confirmation from someone that they had a similar problem, and they indeed fixed it this way, not too difficult. In any case, adding the SATA drivers worked perfectly, thank you for the fix! Fewer gray hairs for me.

12. g34james

g34james

Hi, I have just built a brand new pc with an amd x2 6000+ cpu and asus m2a-vm motherboard, but for some reason when installing vista it gets to the part just after it says about copying files, right at the start, like the boot screen and just loops, ie does it and hangs, and the HDD led blinks like crazy, i have tried 32bit vista and xp, but this does not work either. I have tried IDE HDD & SATA HDD, IDE DVD ROM & SATA DVD ROM, Tried amd x2 4200+ cpu in it also, have tried disableing usb, firewire, sound etc in bios so that only basics work. HELP!!!!!

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you check that your ram is approved match from Asus and whoever is the maker?

14. g34james

g34james

Yes I am using kingston hyerx ram which i have used in similar asus boards, of similar spec.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice