1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Vista-problem with Microsoft word 2003 won't save a file get error me

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by xfile47, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Windows Vista Home

Installed Microsoft office 2003 Installed custom install of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Publisher. They all work you can type in them and print the page ect. However all of them if you go to save the file such as a word doc to the desktop like always did type whatever and then go to file and save as have the file named etc and with all of them it comes up with an error sayin

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. YOu can save a file from any of them, like I said you can open them and do whatever you want and print them out but cannot save them. Can someone tell me why I am gettting the error and why it wion't save?

2. Sponsor

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

It sounds like it is not a valid install (perhaps the product key you used is already in use on another computer), or that the product you have is not yet activated, or that the trial time has expired.

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

ok, I was just wondering why it would let you type in word and excel and the others and print what you do etc gut not save the file I guess it just seems a little weird to me, the 2003 was used on a computer with XP PRO and bought a new computer with vista so should be able to use it on there, shouldn't I?

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

Microsoft doesn't care so much that you to use Office on other computers, because that way you get to see all that it can do. But when it actually comes to the "meat and potatoes" the actual real value of the program, to save your hard earned work, it will fail.

The other reason is, if Office failed to work on startup of Office, a user would get disgusted with the "@#$%! program" (their words, not mine, I like it). Besides, with the program opening, you can get to the Help of Office to diagnose the problem, and even to then "activate" your install (to get and enter a valid registration key code).

Depending upon the version you bought, you may be limited to install on just one computer, or two computers (usually one desktop and one portable), or perhaps x number of computers. You can read the EULA (End User License Agreement) from somewhere in the Help menu, to see what your install limitations are.

You can usually move the install from one computer to another, if your version (see EULA) allows it. Some installs are for OEM computers, and there was some sort of deal, worked between the computer manufacturer and Microsoft, that may not allow the Office install to be moved.

To move the install, to do it right, usually requires you to remove it first from the first computer and then put on the other. When that does not work as planned, then a simple call to Microsoft Support (see the Office Help) and talking to them will get you going again. That is, as long as you are the registered owner, and that info is in their database.

Good luck.

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I will make the call. I appreciate all the help. I will close this thread. Thanks again

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753056