1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Vista problems.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by xEclipsex, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xEclipsex

xEclipsex Thread Starter

Alright.
    So, I'm having alot of problems with windows vista. I run off of a Dell Inspiron 1501 labtop, and it worked fine until a while back. It wouldn't install updates correctly, and it would freeze often.

Now;
    It won't install updates, Nothing that has windows in the name responds, (Windows Media Player, Windows Live One Care, etc.) And all my downloads won't work. I went to go download itunes today, and it said it was going to take 23 days.

Can anyone help me?

I use Avira anti-virus and reports come clean.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Time to reinstall Windows using your Recovery Partition, Recovery disks or Vista installation DVD. Not a trivial task, but neither is finding and fixing "alot of problems."

3. xEclipsex

xEclipsex Thread Starter

Well, My computer didn't come with a system disc, or anything like that. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running regular Vista, and it's a 64 bit, if that helps.

4. joeten

joeten

hi you might try ctrl + F11 to try to access your recovery partition

5. xEclipsex

xEclipsex Thread Starter

Well, I tried that, but nothing happened. ?
    My computer just made a beep noise.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here is at least one way to use the Recovery Partition.

7. xEclipsex

xEclipsex Thread Starter

Alright, i'll try it as soon as my computer is done scanning.
    I scanned it using the boot-up f12 option. As soon as it's done, i'll try that.
    Do you know if that gets rid of possible viruses, or anything?

8. xEclipsex

xEclipsex Thread Starter

I didn't really have a choice, it was a Christmas present, and I knew nothing of computers at the time.
    I'm about to try to reformat the hard drive, though.

9. xEclipsex

xEclipsex Thread Starter

Well, I can't access Backup And Restore Center, due to Control panel loading, then not responding. I tried going straight to the Backup And Restore Center, but it doesn't even load. I'm so confused. Anything else I can do?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you'll have to contact Dell. And, for what it's worth, I think it should be covered under warranty.

With many manufacturers you can get to the Recovery partition with a key or key combination right after turning on the machine, as joeten indicated, and there is a procedure for creating one set of Recovery DVDs or CDs. When I searched around the Dell site I could not find these options; unless I missed something you are stuck if you can't get Windows to work well enough to get into the Recovery procedure.

11. ttifrum

ttifrum

have you tried pressing F8 at boot up to get the boot menu up? If you do you'll probably find an option Repair My Computer listed just above Safe Mode. If you select this you'll eventually get a menu that will allow you to do various operations one of which will be restore to original factory condition.

12. joeten

joeten

13. xEclipsex

xEclipsex Thread Starter

Well everyone, I was able to fix it.
    By formatting the hard drive, and it fixed everything.
    Special thanks to TerryNet for the help.
    ^_^

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad it finally worked out. :) Give a big share of thanks to ttifrum and joeten too!

You can mark this Solved using the button at the upper left of the page.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice