Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows Vista update page will not load

6K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Mumbodog 
#1 ·
Windows Vista update page will not load with information or work.
When I launch windows update in vista the page comes up blank. It gives the appearance that it is still loading. The only way to get rid of the blank page is in "start task Manager". In Task Manager it (windows update) is shown as running. There are no error messages.

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
ZoneAlarm Security Suite Antivirus Version 8.0.298.035

#2 ·
Go into Windows Services, and stop the Windows Update Service (don't disable it, just stop it).

Control Panel (classic View) Admin Tools>computer management>Services.

Once it opens, scroll down to "Windows Update" double click it and hit the stop button in the window that opens, when it stops, click OK and then close the services window.

Now navigate to this location and delete the folder "SoftwareDistribution"

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Restart the PC and see if WUP works now.

#3 ·
Hi Mumbodog,
I had tried your solution serveral times before. I could not stop the windows Update. I would get the following dialog box response:

"Windows could not stop the Windows Update service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
Although the dialog box message says "it could not stop the windows update service", the Windows Update status in the Services window is "stopping", but after serveral minutes (20) it does not stop.

Also I could not rename or delete the "SoftwareDistribution" folder: "Permission denied" Dialog Box would appear.

Another thing I have noticed is that "Windows Defender" would not automaticly or manualy update via the Windows Security Center window. I have both Zone Alarm and Windows Defender running. I have been doing this for at least 6 months with no problems.

#4 ·
OK try this, disable the windows update service, do this by setting the startup type drop down box to disabled, close sevices, restart the PC, then try to delete the softwaredistribution folder. Go back to services and set it back to "Automatic (delayed start)

Another thing to try is open an administrators command prompt and type the following command and hit enter, restart the PC

netsh winsock reset

#5 ·
Hi Mumbodog,
I disabled the windows update service and restart the PC. I could not delete the softwaredistribution folder in "normal" mode but could do so in "safe" mode. I again set Windows Update to "Automatic (delayed start)

Between trying to delete the softwaredistribution folder in "normal" mode and "safe" mode, I opened the administrators command prompt and typed the following command and hit enter, restart the PC

netsh winsock reset

This did not work, the following responce was received: "The requested operation requires elevation".

Anyway, the windows update page does now load, but nothing is happening, updating is not taking place.

I loged on to microsoft's update site and requested an update, clicked the "install" button, and waited and waited and waited for any response, what did I get, nothing.

any further suggestions?

#7 ·
Hi Mumbodog
I try these commands in a command prompt and I got the following dialog info messages:

regsvr32 jscript
The module "jscript" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterService failed with error code 0x8000405.

regsvr32 vbscript
The module "vbscript" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterService failed with error code 0x8000405.

regsvr32 /i mshtml
The module "mshtml" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterService was not found.

I re-ran the above commands as administrator in cmd.exe and was successful with the "regsvr32 jscript" and "regsvr32 vbscript" commands but not with the "regsvr32 /i mshtml" command. I got the following message: "Make sure that "mshtml" is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again". I check to see if "mshtml.dll" was installed on my computer and it was.
I rebooted my computer after inputting the three commands and then tried windows update again, it still does not work, at least the update screen has something on it and has the appearance that it is checking for updates, but it has not access the internet.

#9 ·
Hi Mumbodog,
I tried the following and got the resulting responces:

regsvr32 /i mshtml
The module "mshtml" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterService was not found. Make sure that "mshtml"is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again.

regsvr32 /mshtml
The command-flag "/mshtml" is not vaild. Please review the command usage and try again.
Usage: regsvr32[/u][/s][/n][/i[:cmdline]] dllname
/u -Unregister server
/s -Silent; display no message boxes
/i -Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline]; when used with /u calls dll uninstall
/n -do not call DllRegisterServer; this option must be used with /i.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Hi Mumbodog,
I tried, all worked except wudriver.dll, Got the resulting responce:

The module "wudriver" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterService was not found. Make sure that "wudriver" is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again.

I will try the free window update from microsoft. Thanks for all help - Noddy4me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.