1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows vs Linux

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gurbleeek, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurbleeek

gurbleeek Thread Starter

I am thinking of getting a 2nd computer.
    As i am a virtual beginner i was wondering about the pro's & con's of the windows vs linux operating systems.
    Is Linux any good for beginner-intermediate users?
    I hear poor things about vista so it would probably be Linux vs XP.
    I don't have XP at the moment as i am running ME so i would have to buy a copy so the cost would have to come into the equation.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Het Irv

Het Irv

Linux has a few things over XP and XP wins on a few, it realy comes down to your willingness to learn a new Operating System. Linux is not Windows

Linux Pros:
    *Price - Free,It is actually Illegal to sell Linux, you can give it away but you can't sell it.
    *User Friendly - I use Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. It is one of the most user friendly versions of Linux there is. Almost everything can be done through the GUI (Graphical User Interface).
    *Repositories - The repositories are large databases of software for Linux that you can download and install with a few mouse clicks. The Repositories have many replacements for windows applications and a few obscure ones.
    *Virus/Spyware - Lack thereof. as of right now Linux is very secure against Viruses, Spyware, and hacking attempts.
    *Stability - While in XP the operating system will sometimes crash and there is nothing you can do about it, In Linux the OS is much more stable.

Linux Cons:
    *Lack of Hardware Drivers - Many companies do not put time into developing Drivers for Linux because it is not worth it Financially. ATI Graphics cards and Wireless have been the worst in the past but both are improving.
    *Its not Windows - While at first glance this looks like its in the wrong place, its not. When Linux breaks, you can't fix it like you would Windows. Many fixes include a few lines of code.
    *Programs - Many programs for Linux are in a constant Beta state and may have major bugs. You also may not be able to find a program that does exactly like a Windows program that you like.

My suggestion to you is to try a live CD. This CD will run from you CD drive and will not put anything on your Hard Drive. You can also install from the CD. You also may want to look into Dual Booting. You can have both on the same computer.

3. gurbleeek

gurbleeek Thread Starter

cheers for the advice.
    i will try a live cd when my new computer gets delivered. sounds like the best option.
    it should be big enough to run 2 systems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice