1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Will Not Boot Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by masterchief, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masterchief

masterchief Thread Starter

hEY guys please do your best to help me on this one my WINDOWS will not boot up anymore every time i turn on my pc my hp pavillion it is only a year and 2 months old and when i turn it on it asks me how i want to run windows and i hit any option normally or safe mode and when i click on it it aqutomatically reboots my whole computer and it keeps doing it no matter WHAT i do and i dont have any windows xp disk at all my pc came with none at all and i have no recovery disks or any floppy drive to do anything and i try doing a system recovery and i cant because it saying that im missing restore.log and says its misssing that file in windows folder i use windows xp sp2 home edition my pc has been rebbooted like 20 times already and it happened because i had to restart my pc because a program i was using wasnt working right and i tried closing it and nothing worked PLEASE HELP. THANKS.

2. macdudenj

macdudenj

turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly until a screen comes on asking you what operating system you want to run. Select XP and it will boot without extensions or networking if you choose. Of course this will only work if your hard drive is functioning properly.

3. norton850

norton850

How did you try to do a system recovery if the computer just keeps rebooting at the Windows option screen no matter what you choose? Some systems come with a recovery portion on the HD. It will restore the system back to the way it was when new (and wipe out all your data). What is your model?

4. masterchief

ok thanks i just did that and unfornately it still keeps on restarting and when i did that a whole bunch of things had come up and i chose start windows normallly and it didnt work now what should i try? edit i also try safe mode and it just keeps on rebooting and repating over and over my model is hp pavillion a814x and it gets to the windows xp loading thing then 1 second into that it reboots also when i turn on my pc a blue screen comes up it says hit f10 to do system recovery

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

With out a Windows Install or recovery disk you are not going any where right now and you need the one that is specifically for your HP.

Several months ago Hewlett Packard lost a law suit about the fact that they do not provide the software for their computer operating systems. I would suggest contacting HP and see if you qualify for a set of these free install disks. If you do not qualify I suggest purchasing a set of them for the system you have you are going to need them.

There is a procedure for doing a repair-install that is just amazing. One thing you will need is the disks of which you do not have.

6. norton850

norton850

So what's your model?

7. masterchief

model is hp pavillion a814x

8. masterchief

this is what my model looks like http://search.hp.com/query.html?cc=us&lang=en&qt=a814x&la=en edit: yeah i wont mind wiping all my things from my windows because i just can re download everything if thats what i have to do to fix this mess, also im typing from my laptop because i have 2 desktops and 1 laptop my laptop is dell and my other desktop is a compaq presario and they didnt come with the disks either

9. norton850

norton850

Reading up on your system it doesn't appear that you have any recovery partition on your HD. Since you have no CDs you will have to order a recovery disc. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=470216&lang=en&docname=bph07143
    Remember this will delete your data, but if the problem is just a corrupted Windows installation then it will fix the problem. It will not fix things if you have a failed HD or other bad hardware. Can't reall tell at this point.

If you do get the recovery discs and need to get data off the HD before doing the recovery you could put it in another system as a slave.

10. masterchief

see it does get to windows xp loading where it says windows xp and the little blue bar slides across the screen but it only there for half second and thats when it reboots

11. masterchief

ok uys i talked to an hp chat technician he told me that i need to buy the recovery cd's for my computer and i did and i should be getting them here on saturday or sunday because i did express delivery so it was a total fo 35 bucks about and was wondering when i get my cd''s what do i do to get them to work because my recovery from pc doesnt work it says im missing restore.log how would i use my cd;s what will i have to do will i need to hit like f10 or something and insert them please help. thanks

12. masterchief

hey yeah i do have a recovery partition on my pc because there is 2 local disks one called c which everyone has and the other one is locked up and says to not enter it because its used for backup so i beleive that is a recovery partition and i should be getting my recovery cd.s tomorrow or by sunday bcause i asked for express delivery and could you please tell me what i have to do i posted the question above. thanks. edit: also are u guys sure that when i get my recovery cd's i ordered from hp which should be here tomorrow or sunday the 6th that i can use te cd's and they will recover my pc fine i dont care about losing all my data i just redownload it all and reinstall it all i only had a lot of games but i just reinstall them not a problem but do you think the recovery can still work because i tried to recover it from my pc by hitting f10 and it wouldnt work at all it said im missing a file called restore.log and it just sat there doing nothing at all but how would i get my cd's to work if i am missing that file to recover my windows xp sp2 back. and my pc did come with recovery partition which wasnt accesible. hp pavillion a814x

13. masterchief

hey i found the correct filepath of restore.log is there a way someone can give me this file for restore.log for my hp pavillion a814x windows xp home SP2 the filepath is

error2: C:/minint/system32/restore.log is missing thats the correct filepath is there anyone out there with my pc hp pavillion a814x windows xp sp2 that could please give me this file and tell me how to put it on and how i would plz do the recovery from my cd's how when i start my pc i can booot my cd rom without beingin windows. Thanks.

14. masterchief

ok i am getting my cd's today its on the delivery truck estimated delivery time is 3 o clock which is in 4 hours so can someone please tell me how to do the recovery from my cd if i cant access the recovery option because im missing restore.log

15. masterchief

ok guys i just received my systen recovery disks there is a total of 9

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice