1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Windows Won't Install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Suprvirgo, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Suprvirgo

Suprvirgo Thread Starter

Hello,

Over the holidays by brother in law put a new mother board, hd, video and sound cards in my computer. He took it from my house and put all the hardware in at my mother in laws house and brought it back over. He also imaged my hard drive so that i wouldn't loose any of the information that i had. I was have some small problems like it freezing up on me and the sound freezing. I got pissed off and decided to start over I saved what I could on floppy and did the ugly and typed c: format c: /u after it was all said and done i went to go reinstall windows. At about 20% of "copying windows files to you computer" it says "you interupted the file copying process" it lets me look at the details and it says that its a .dll file if i skip it it goes to the next file and does it again. if i hit ok it does the same thing again. if i cancel it puts me back at the a: promt. i haven't touched anything to inteupt the process i have even tried it 5 times, any help would be appreated

Jim

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Suprvirgo, welcome to TSG.

What version of windows are you trying to install? From a CD or floppies?

And if it's a CD, is it an ORIGINAL?

3. Suprvirgo

Suprvirgo Thread Starter

Windows 98 SE it is a copy of my own Original it has worked before to restart my p.c. it is a CD ROM

Jim

4. rugrat

rugrat

Try formatting the hard drive without the /u

Just use format C:

Then try to reinstall and let us know.

SeeYa

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D I agree with Rugrat. If the format C: doesn't work try Format C: /s. The/u swith clears the MBR and DOS boot records. Since this is a "copy" of the original, I suspect that there were some system files that were not transfered. Hopefully, the /s command will do the trick. Good luck. KW1

6. Suprvirgo

Suprvirgo Thread Starter

I just wanted to thank you all for the help and let you knwo waht was wrong. What i did was write zeros to the drive using gwscan and then i ran f disk created my partion. i formated the drive then copyed command.com to c: then i made a win 98 directory and copyed the win98. however while i was copying it said there was an error readind drive d: so i took out the disk cleaned it and put it back in i finishied copying. I then ran setup from the c: everything worked fine. I think the root of all my probems in the first place was that the cd was a little dirty. With all the new hardware it took a while to figure out the bios and all that but everything seems ok now thats alot for you help.

Jim

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice