1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows won't respond to anything

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lonapple2, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lonapple2

lonapple2 Thread Starter

My Dell desktop encountered an odd problem where it froze after loading a website. Now upon restart, window XP starts up, all the icons appear on the desktop and the start menu is there. The screen responds to the mouse movements but nothing happens when trying to click on "Start" or on an icon. "Ctrl-alt-del" opens the task manager screen but again, nothing else happens; can't even select the processes window. I've tried restarting in safe mode but it just keeps starting up in XP. How do I get my computer working again?

2. HEdwards2008

HEdwards2008

Have you tried booting into Last Known Good Configuration? I noticed that you were having some problems with getting to the Windows Advanced Options Menu (F8 menu). The easiest way to get there on a DELL computer is wait for the first DELL screen to come up, start tapping the F8 key once every 2 seconds, and continue to tap it until you either get the Windows Advanced Options menu or the computer begins to beep at you. This has been a proven method for individuals that have a difficult time getting it to the correct menu. You could also turn the computer on, let it boot all the way up, and then power it off using the power button but I would only use that as a last resort. Let us know if that enables you to get to the menu or not.

3. lonapple2

lonapple2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. As it turns out, my problem was a mouse with a bad left button. Amazing how many problems that creates when you don't realize it! Replaced the mouse and everything is fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802949