Solved: Windows wont shut down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SepiasSoul

My laptop is running windows xp sp2. Almost every time I go to turn it off via start -> shutdown -> shutdown it will hang at the windows is shutting down screen. It will make the turning off noise but just stops at this screen. The only way to turn it off is to hold the power button. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sepias

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, There are a lot of causes, so many that there is a special troubleshooter just for shutdown issues, start here:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

There is a variety of software that is known to cause shutdown problems in addition to just XP's quirks.

Can you post a report from BelArc Advisor, its a free small tool that shows a lot about your pc.
Please, EDIT OUT your Windows Product Key and similar app License Keys before you post your report

www.belarc.com Use the "Free download" button at top of the page.
The report opens in Internet Explorer> you can copy and paste the list of programs you have installed into a reply here, I can look at the compatibility list to see if you are using one that is known to cause shutdown hangs.

SepiasSoul

K sovled shutdown problem by updating the BIOS. It shuts down fine now but the wireless card will not find any networks and Im sitting next to my router with and the connections are fine on it. Ive unistalled the wireless driver and re-installed to no avail. Im trying to find anouther copy of it but broadcom is a pain to track drivers through. If anyone knows were I can get a copy of the driver for Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g please let me know, or if they know anouther solution or something else to try let me know.

Sepias

SepiasSoul

The obvious is nice, unless you miss it... I thought the lights looked on on the laptop. When I updated the bios it turned off the wireless and since it can only be turned on by pressing two obscure keys I didn't even think about it. Everything works now thanks for the help Byteman.

Sepias

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Glad you solved the problem- I will mark this solved for you. You can do this by using the Thread Tools drop down menu at the top of the forum page, I'll catch it this time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online