1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP 2000 not reinstalling

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AHS1578, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AHS1578

AHS1578 Thread Starter

I have followed all the directions for reinstalling Windows XP and have re-booted my computer from the CD. When I get to the EULA it will not accept me pressing F8 to agree to it. The problem I was having is that when I start my computer it keeps trying to start Window Professional Edition, which I do not have.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you give some more details? How can it "try" to start an OS that you don't have? What does "tries" mean? What type of keyboard are you using?

3. AHS1578

AHS1578 Thread Starter

When it boots, it quickly goes to a black screen. On the bottom of the screen is two choices the bottom choice is Windows Professional Edition, and the top choice is Windows XP media Edition. It seems to automatically try to boot in the Professional Edition. I have to catch it fast and manually highlight the Windows XP Media Edition and then it loads and everything is fine. How would I get it back to automatically just going into the Windows XP media edition ??

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you only have one installed, then go to the Run box and type:

sysdm.cpl

Under the Advanced tab, press the Startup and Recovery Options button. Then press the Edit button. Delete the line with Pro in it and save the changes.

Or, go to Start > Run and type:

msconfig

Under the boot tab, check all paths.

5. AHS1578

AHS1578 Thread Starter

I was looking for my "Run Box" and it was nowhere to be found. Is there some other way to do this ?? Can I find the run box somewhere else??

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try Windows Key+R

But it should be right in the Start menu.

If that doesn't work, and you have address boxes in your folders, just open any folder and type the commands in the address box (deleting what is there already, of course).

If you right-click the TaskBar and choose Properties, then look under the Start Menu settings, you may be able to enable the Run box.

7. AHS1578

AHS1578 Thread Starter

I entered it in the MS-DOS Command Box and it worked. Thank you very much. I am glad I found this site.:)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for following up.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/823440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice