1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP account deleted but still logged in

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by askfault, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. askfault

askfault Thread Starter

Some trojan downloader came to visit and appears to have deleted my folder that held my Windows XP account files.

I'm still logged into that account though and have to reboot to complete trojan removal.

My concern is that a reboot will leave me without my account and all my settings and files (desktop, my docs, music, and the likes) will be gone.

I'm able to copy all files elsewhere to keep from losing them but would like to know if there is a way to REBUILD or RESTORE account files being that I'm still logged into my account and currently using the account in question.

(the xp account files disappeared but the account is still up and functioning perfectly)

Anyone familiar with a way to repair this?

(all hidden and system files aren't hidden by default either being that I changed that long ago)

2. askfault

askfault Thread Starter

Solved!

I'm afraid to appear a bit foolish but this particular trojan meddled with my folder and file settings which changed my system files view to +HIDDEN.

The files weren't deleted, just hidden.

Remove trojan, change back to unhide system files and back in business.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice