1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP atomatic updates not working.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by camcorder, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. camcorder

camcorder Thread Starter

I recently downloaded XP Service pack 3 to Service pack 1 because I needed to install XP again.
    So now I'm in service pack 1, and I want the automatic updates so they can hook me back up with service pack three. Though. The automatic updates aren't working?

How do I get them back?
    Any way around automatic updates to get upgraded to service pack 3?
    (Do not want to buy it.) x.x

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

Windows updates are free of charge ...

You can manually update . Click Start/All Programs/Windows Update and then go with the flow - it'll take a while to get back up to current ...

3. camcorder

camcorder Thread Starter

I know windows updates are free. Just I didn't want to buy a cd version of service pack three...

I click start, all programs, and I do NOT have an option of Windows update.

4. nessyguin

nessyguin

5. camcorder

camcorder Thread Starter

No. No I can not.

Everytime I try to update it says that it's not supported, or not avaliable in Service pack 1.

Then when I try microsoft download center, and try to download updates, It says I need to download some stuff.
    When I download the things that it says I need the following can't be downloaded:
    Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
    Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

It then says download failed.

6. camcorder

camcorder Thread Starter

Also: When I restart my computer, a windows automatic update icon shows up in the task bar. Saying downloading updates: 0% then when I go to click on it or leave it alone, it vanishes after only being there for 6 seconds.

7. camcorder

camcorder Thread Starter

I just googled, and found a site thaw worked around the issue, and I was able to download my service packs from there.
    Thanks though. C:

8. nessyguin

nessyguin

Glad you got sorted :)

Sorry I couldnt come up with anything of use to you and thanks for the update .

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice