1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP "balloon tips" missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GlenB, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GlenB

GlenB Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've recently purchased a new XP desktop PC, unlike any other XP machine I've used, it doesn't show popups when security software updates or when windows security centre has an alert, it makes the 'pop' noise but no popups ever appear.

I've read the microsoft article on how to add a reg entry to disable these popups but it seems they should be enabled by default, anyone any ideas on why they aren't working or is there some obvious setting that needs changing?

Thanks,
    GlenB

2. Sponsor

3. daz1

daz1 Banned

many many optimsiing programmes alter the reg key default to data 0 to disable this feature as it does slow down xp i have it disabled so is it possible you have optimized with some programme?

4. GlenB

GlenB Thread Starter

I'm not sure, it's a brand new desktop PC I only bought it last week so it's only got the default/basic software on, I've installed Nod32 and BOClean and am using the Windows XP firewall, would these affect it?

Thanks,
    GlenB

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Are you using Internet Explorer 7.0?

6. GlenB

GlenB Thread Starter

Yeah, I installed it as soon as I connected to the net, along with all other critical windows updates.

GlenB

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try this:

In IE& goto Tools at the top of the window
    Click Pop-up blocker
    It should show Pop-up blocker turned ON
    If not turn it on
    Click on Pop-up Blocker settings
    At the bottom of this page are some settings that you can modify try taking the tick mark out of the top item and see what happens.

I hope this helps.

8. GlenB

GlenB Thread Starter

Thanks, I've tried changing the settings but it's still doing it, remembering back I think it was making the 'pop' sound but not showing the balloons as soon as I turned the computer on the first time (warning me about no antivirus installed) before I had installed IE7 (or anything else).

Thanks,
    GlenB

9. GlenB

GlenB Thread Starter

bump

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Open Security Center from Control Panel. Under Resources, click "Change the way Security Center alerts me" then check or uncheck the boxes as desired.

11. valis

valis Moderator

12. GlenB

GlenB Thread Starter

All the boxes for alerts are ticked, I've checked that registry entry (thanks valis) and enableballoontips was set to '0', I've changed the value to '1' and now it's working fine.

Thanks (y)

GlenB

13. valis

valis Moderator

glad to hear it works, and glad to see you aren't askeered of the registry. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/532528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice