1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Boots in "Power Save Mode"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fenway617, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenway617

fenway617 Thread Starter

I have a windows XP Home computer that goes through the boot process fine until the very end, right when the windows screen shoudl load a message pops up that says "Entering Power Save Mode" and the computer is unusable. I have to do a manual reboot. I CAN get the computer to boot fine while in Safe Mode (but not in VGA mode), I turned off all the power save options, I tried a new monitor, new cable and replaced the battery. My next move is the video driver card but before I do that anyone else have other ideas? It is a Dell XPS 410 computer.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Its a video problem, "power save mode" is a function of the monitor not the OS, the monitor is not receiving a video signal from XP, so it enters power save mode.

Enter Safe mode and uninstall your current video driver, then try normal boot. Then upgrade the video driver.

Do you know what Video card/chip your 410 came with, there were several options when ordering this system. I can look for a newer driver for you.

3. fenway617

fenway617 Thread Starter

It is a friends PC but I just logged into the Dell web site and used the service ID tag to check the specs and it says:

DT240Card, Graphics, 7300, Low Encryption, MRMGA10, 2

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Boot into safe mode, see what device manager says under Display Adapters.

Did you try what I suggested earlier?

5. fenway617

fenway617 Thread Starter

Yes and thank you. That seems to have worked, I uninstalled the NAVID driver then rebooted and it loaded fine... Now do I have to reinstall the video driver? The Display seems to be just fine.

6. fenway617

fenway617 Thread Starter

Looks like I am all set. Thank you so much MumBodog....

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You are welcome.

No you don't have to load another driver, if you are happy with what it looks like, then do nothing.

Welcome to TSG forums.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice