1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP BSODs on Startup (New Ubuntu Dual boot setup)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Giltrap, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giltrap

Giltrap Thread Starter

Hello. I think this is the right place to put this since it's the XP part of my computer not working. Sorry if this is in the wrong place :)

The problem:
    (the one that isn't between the Keyboard and the Chair)

I have recently installed Ubuntu on my previously Windows only PC, and now Windows XP will not load at all.
    I turn on my PC, wait for the GRUB bootloader (details below) to appear and select Windows.
    The black windows loading screen comes up for about 2 seconds and promptly BSODs (details below)
    Ubuntu still loads fine.

The computer:

OS - Windows XP MCE (2005? I think) + Ubuntu Linux 9.10
    Bootloader - GNU GRUB version 1.97~beta4
    I have multiple partitions for all of my different things. One for XP, on for Ubuntu, and two for files.

BSOD:

Bootloader:

What I've tried:
    • Using the Windows install disk to run CHKDSK /F - This didn't work because there was no screen like the one after step 4 here http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097, so there was no way for me to access the recovery console.
    • There is an option to press F2 to run Automated System Recovery which appears before the bar at the bottom says it's loading all the relevant drivers etc. However I can't do this because it says "Please insert the disk labeled: Windows Automated System Recovery Disk into the floppy drive. Press any key when ready" and I don't have such a disk or a floppy drive.

Unfortunately I can't think of anything else to try, so that's why I'm here.

Thanks (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice