1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows xp, cannot get access to internet.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steve12, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve12

steve12 Thread Starter

My connection is through a router and the router/modem are using pppoe, I can't access the routers ip or ping it as it says host unreachable and tracert says the same thing. I know 192.168.1.2 is the rite ip as I can access that in another os. (I'm dual booting) This is a fresh installation and I've no idea what to do.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. steve12

steve12 Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

E:\Documents and Settings\stephanie>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

E:\Documents and Settings\stephanie>

4. steve12

steve12 Thread Starter

If I could some how fix whatever it is that's denying me access to the router then maybe I could get the internet going but I'm not sure where to go from here.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Windows is finding no networking hardware so the first place you should go is into Device Manager. If you see any errors or warnings the probability is that you need some drivers. If you don't have a Drivers CD (for XP) download the chipset and networking and other needed drivers from the PC manufacturer's web site. If using another computer for this you can copy the files via removable media.

6. steve12

steve12 Thread Starter

I did notice like 5 things that were yellow, I thought of that before but didn't know what one would be for networking. I'll try that out. <3

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Devices w/o drivers have difficulty communicating their identities because the drivers are needed to "translate" between device and operating system. :) Let us know how you make out with your driver quest.

8. steve12

steve12 Thread Starter

Alright I fixed it, found one some of the drivers I needed that weren't installed were required for internet. Luckily I'm a pack rat. ;) I found my mother board driver's cd and popped it in and a few minutes later the router was found and I had internet access. <3 Thanks!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. It's always good to keep those CDs!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice