1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows xp can't load programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by attilathepun, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. attilathepun

attilathepun Thread Starter

I have Win xp sp2 running on an old custom build (1400 Athlon w/ 512 Mb RAM on a Shuttle mobo). It's been incredibly stable, except for the occasions when I completely botch something up by attempting something stupid (although this time I didn't do anything, I swear).

Now, though, it won't load any except a few simple (think notepad or abiword) programs; when I try I always get an error message (I don't remember ad verbatim, I'll copy it and repost tomorrow, but it's something about Windows program manager not being able to load the program).

I thought a defrag and a scan of the boot disk might help, but they won't run, either. My kid brother has been using the computer (I've been at work, haven't used that machine in a couple of weeks), and insists he hasn't done anything, either, that it randomly started and he rebooted and it quit, but rebooting doesn't help -- I suspect a corrupt system file. Does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?

Oh, btw, data recovery isn't a concern. I have a couple fully functioning Linux distros installed. My goal is to fix the Windows install instead of having to reinstall everything.

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Howdy attilathepun! :)

You definitely have some sort of corrupt file. We dont know what though :rolleyes:

Anyway...

it could be either, all or none of these:

• Explorer
    • Winlogon
    • Encrypted Files
    • Bad disk
    • Viral Infection.

Hope that helps.

3. attilathepun

Well, that particular machine isn't online -- we have dial-up, and the phone line to that room shorted out and we haven't fixed it yet :( , so while it's possible I have an infected flash drive or something, I doubt it's a virus.
    Since some of the components are somewhat old, it could be my hard drive is going bad, I hadn't really thought of that. Denial works wonders, I guess, lol.

I used the WinXP disk to run a repair, replacing all the system files. Now the only thing that doesn't work right is Photoshop, and that I can reinstall. Now that you mention it, I should probably back up the disk, though.
    I'll monitor the hd, and unless something more happens I'll say solved.

Thanks!(y)

4. unbidden

unbidden

Is the error to do with 'Windows Installer"?

For the update click here.

5. attilathepun

No. It's the Windows Command Center, if I remember right. Some programs gave that error, some gave a 'failed to initialize' error.
    The more I think about it, the more I think Blink182 hit it on the head with 'bad disk'. It's working again for now, but I'll have to monitor it.

6. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

OK glad its solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice