1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Config System Error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by floridal, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

After solving all the problems with the reinstallation, downloading SP3, Adobe Reader-the computer was working perfectly. I then downloaded Norton Anti-Virus and Adobe Flash and then as the computer rebooted I got the following message:
    Missing Windows\System32\config\system.
    You can repair this by booting to Windows Setuo from the original Windows CD Rom.(have disk with SP1a)
    Then Selecting R.
    This does not appear to work -sometimes I get a prompt and cannot do anything with it-sometimes it allows me to enter something but I don't know what to do.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

I reviewed the article referenced and there seem to be to many steps that did not have exact entries-so as a Plan B-perhaps I could again format and reinstall windows and then not install Norton Anti-Virus?
    Is there an easy way to do this or any other ideas? I have absolutely no data or files on the Hard Drive.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have the XP CD, you could do a repair installation to see if that helped. Just do the installation from the booted XP CD as usual and a repair option should appear (though it won't if the registry is too damaged and you can then just delete the partitions, create new ones, and install a fresh copy).

If you have nothing to save, I can see why you wouldn't want to go through all that.

5. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

I do have the XP CD and I have tried the R option but it has not worked. The other items that I was installing around the crash were , Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, IE8 and Norton Anti-virus. Any idea which item might have caused the problem.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

No idea what caused it. You may want to test your drive if you get running again.

I'm not talking about the "R" option. I talking about later on in the process, after the license agreement, when you will get an option to repair the current installation, if the registry is not too badly damaged. Are you talking about the "R" that brings you to the Recovery Console?

7. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

Booting with the CD with XP and SP1a-it gets to the screen that says Welcome to Setup and gives me three choices1/Setup XP pressEnter
    Repaid a Winodws XP installation Using Recovery Console Press R
    To Quit withougt installing XP-presss F3.
    But the keyboard does not work-so none of the choices are available.
    (The keyboard worked so that I could do the choice of going to boot from the hard drive-so it is working).
    Any ideas?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

The repair would come later after you chose to install XP now.

Do you have a PS/2 jack on your machine for one of those older keyboards that had the round connector? That will work if a USB one does not.

Also, you could enter BIOS setup at boot time (it should say on the screen what key to press) and make sure that the "legacy" support for the mouse and keyboard are turnd on. Sometimes, you also have to choose the Enter key instead of "any key".

9. floridal

floridal Thread Starter

Reformatted the HD and reinstalled XP. Then dowloaded SP3 and Adobe Reader. All seems to be working well.
    Thanks

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good. Now make a full system backup from time to time so this never happens again, or for when the hard drive fails.

How did you solve the problem of the unworkable keys?

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice