1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Constant 50~100% CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by UnbornCorpser, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UnbornCorpser

UnbornCorpser Thread Starter

This issue has been plaguing my computer for a long time I just now found out what was causing it. The only issue now is that I honestly don't know how to resolve it at all.

Service - netprofm
    Start Address - ntdll.dll!RtlSizeHeap+0x64e

That's the service that keeps eating away at the CPU constantly and before that it was a DNScache service. Any help would be grateful.

2. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

Do you happen to have an hp machine?

what version of windows xp and what sp are you using?

And last how are connecting to your router (or modem)?

if you feel your up to it goto task manager and kill the svchost that is causing the problems and report back on what happens

(any interruption with network connection if you kill it?)

3. UnbornCorpser

Kill or restart? Or is that the same thing? I've restarted the offender DNS and then it switched to the one I listed above. I just restarted that one now it's NlaSvc eating at the CPU by huge amounts randomly.

Yeah I listed the wrong comp. since my comp.'s sticker came off I always forget which mine is it's a Vista sorry about this if you or somebody else that can move it to the correct forum. But forgetting that what exactly did you need to know about the version? It's a Windows Vista Home Premium; Model Inspiron 531; 32-bit operating system. Does that answer that or did you need to know anything else?

I've been wireless connected to routers for a long time but I know this issue didn't happen when this was installed. It's a Linksys RangePlus wireless device plugged/inserted in the back of my tower.

EDIT: By the way all three of these offenders eating my CPU seem to do with the network somehow.

4. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

Thank you for providing any info at all:)
    What you have said is perfectly ok and i think that someone can move you over to the vista forum.
    I most likely cannot help you with vista because xp is the operating system that i "try" to be a guru with:)
    (But i can try!)

Can you check if you have any hardware updates in windows updates?

Try a repair on the network icon on the system tray by right clicking on the icon and selecting repair.

ive told the moderators to move the thread to the Vista forums

5. UnbornCorpser

No I don't I actually had to manually fix that issue awhile ago. I had some Microsoft Works 9 update that kept failing since 2012 & I had to look up how to resolve that which required me going into the registry to fix. But that's all done with & I know has nothing to do with this since the CPU eating issue started before that even happened.

I got a message & it says "There might be a problem with the network adapter Wireless Network Connection". Which doesn't make any sense seeing as I'm connected just fine unless I'm not understanding the issue.

Thanks for that.

6. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

If you can update your network adapter drivers that would be great!

(Try running diagnostics on the network adapter that is affected too)

7. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

I just realized something!!!

Goto Start > run and type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes and press enter and expand all the categories and look for any !yellow exclamation marks or red X's and if you find them post the name

8. UnbornCorpser

I checked both of them & they are both up to date. They also don't seem to have anything wrong with them from the diagnostics search. But I'll watch Process Explorer for tonight & tomorrow then I'll post back to let you know if it's still going on or if I can find anymore details about this. If it stops &/or doesn't bother my CPU I'll just mark it as solved.

Apparently restarting those two things then restarting my computer seems to have fixed it but like I said I'll post back in sometime tomorrow to let you know for sure.

9. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

Good:)
    I had found that a restart or clean seemed to fix the cpu usage for svchost on some of the forums i read

If you have any more issues you should go to services.msc and disable and stop nla(Network Location Awareness)
    see if its fixed then if it isnt or things get worse reenable and start that then disable computer browser and see if things get worse or are fixed if they get worse reenable and start and so on with the following using the same ritual
    Print Spooler or Spooler
    "Routing And Remote Access" - All one service
    Server

If the problem is fixed along this list stop and tell me which service was the one that fixed it
    Names may vary because im looking off of a windows xp box and windows 8 box

10. UnbornCorpser

It seems stopping the NLA caused the issue to stop plaguing my cpu. Thanks for the help I'll go ahead & mark it as solved.

11. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

Make sure that its disabled with services.msc If you disabled it you will be fine past every reboot! Good Luck:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1099281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice