Solved: Windows XP continuous loading screen...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zoriath

When I boot Windows XP it loads fine and everything until it reaches the loading screen with the small loading bar where it continuously does that... I haven't done anything big at all the previous night except try installing drivers a for a tv card thingy... which required a restart which I kept for later.

It works fine in Safe Mode until I being stupid in safe mode through msconfig turned off everything except those two rcp essentials or something... so now, I can only get to the safe mode user selection screen but no users come up, because I guess I turned off a service dealing with that, now my worry is, even if I am able to fix, with your help hopefully, the continuous loading problem, what am I supposed to do with the msconfig problem?

Hoping for your help ^____^

edit: I used to be unable to access recovery console thru the windows xp CD before... but miraculously, thanks or no thanks to this problem I am having, I can access recovery console now...

Zoriath

Hai... I did a sytem restore before, I mean in safe mode, I am going to try the last known config thingy, I will post as soon as I can, thanks ^_____^

Ah, did you do the System Restore before or after you went about disabling things?

Normally SR will fix almost anything that is not hardware or security related. Last Known Good Configuration will only reset to the last successful startup configuration, provided startup has failed. Once it succeeds, that is the last known good configuration.

Zoriath

I did a system restore... before... and it seems that I was simply impatient, anyways I followed the document as the normal bootup didn't work, but I am stuck at the beginning of stage 2. Activation... I am right now printing the document as my laptop is being used >__<... and now I can neither access safe mode nor normal mode thanks to activation, but it should be done by now.. let's hope the call center is awake at this time!

Zoriath

Oh well... there goes all my registry crap... tsk, it like it restored to the registry of last year or something... I guess my PC is officially dead... I can't possibly imagine how I am going to fix everything... >__<... a registry problem is a BIG problem... all the key's to the programs are messed up, oh well, thanks anyways... ^____^

*goes off to make list of programs to BT and folders/files to keep*

*cries*

When you first do this it restores the ORIGINAL registry hives. That just allows you to boot Windows.

That is why you must follow PARTS 2 AND 3 of the instructions FULLY. When you do that, you will be able to get the registry hives from a System Restore Volume archive -- those will be up to date.

Zoriath

I did follow it fully ^___^... just waiting for my 1tb external hdd for a whole new start...

Oh and I am sure it wasn't the instructions nor me or you... it's my pc, it has had a problem with sysres since like ever >__<, you know those folders? I had only three, the other two being something else... thanks though...

I understand, and like you I think it's best to start fresh on this.

However if you choose, you could restore the hives you backed up if you followed the instructions precisely. Of course, you'd just restore the orginal problem as well. :rolleyes:

Zoriath

Hai... I just received my 400gb hdd a few hours ago... currently copying everything to it... I managed to reorganize my files again ^__^... I love organizing... I think I organized my system like... 50 times already.

Anyways it'll be a while before copying everything is complete... and then I plan on formatting all the four partitions... which way of formatting is better? I mean through windows xp or the installation or what? I plan on installing a corp edition of WinXP Pro...

I was going to get a LaCie 1tb hdd but it seems that the hdd is not a single one... it is comprised of 4 other hdds linked and acting as one? Or am I wrong... anyways it's too late... I already bought the 400gb hdd I mentioned earlier... >__<... thanks again ^___^.

Oh and I like the way you refer to those files as hives... is it an official term or did you just grow accustomed to it? Reminds me of insects in my PC >___<...

I think what I would do is allow the installation CD to clean install (it formats) the boot drive. It will see the previous installation and offer to "repair" it. You don't want that, you want the "setup" option.

Then once all is installed you could use the disk management console (diskmgmt.msc) to reformat the others.

I'm really not too sure of the options available on the installation CD. I know you CAN do all that, but the technique might be a bit complex. You would probably need to delete all partitions to begin with, then recreate them.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

"hives" is actually the official "NT" term for registry keys. Seemed a bit strange to me when I first encountered it too :)

There is, however a difference between a "hive" and a .reg file. When you import a Hive file it COMPLETELY replaces what exists. .reg files, on the other hand do a "merge" -- so existing information is only replaced if it occupies the same path.

Zoriath

I did exactly that... I am right now entering this post from the system... thanks for your advice... I really appreciate your time ^__^... hai... it feels so different... and kinda sad >__<.... thanks once again!

You're most welcome. If all seems well to you, feel free to mark the thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online