1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP corrupted-slow loadup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rk233, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rk233

rk233 Thread Starter

My computer operating system may be in conflict with some software. I just had a new hard drive installed on my computer by professionals due to hard drive failure and after re-installing my software from CD/DVD backups seem to be having similar problems as in the past.

The Help and Support seems to be loading VERY slow. I had problems with this previously.). This was not happening after my initial re-installation so some of my software or other changes made are causing this.

I have a Windows XP Pro DELL computer from June 2004. I brought my computer to professionals and a diagnostics indicated a "failing" hard drive (Maxtor). I had a new 120 GB drive installed by them and had them re-install Windows XP.

I re-installed Norton Internet Security 2006 with ONLY their firewall running.(LiveUpdate was run too) I did not install Zone Alarm free due to compatiblity problems. I did install Windows Defender but was told not to run it with Norton due to possible compatiblity problems. After using Microsoft Update to get Service Packs and other updates I re-installed most of my programs from CD's DVD's..

I had other problems when trying to reinstall Microsoft Office '97. My Outlook Express was replaced with Microsoft Outlook. (I should have done a custum install)

I do remember that about this time I also turned off some services that I did not seem to need in MSCONFIG. I have since turned those services back on and re-installed MS Office '97 and it seemed to rectify things.

I have run CHKDSK , used the Norton Systemworks 2006 Disk Doctor utility (run from the CD), and I have tried using the sfc /scannow command.

I do not know if by using the sfc /scannow command I am causing any problems. I do have an older DELL Windows XP Pro install disk with service pack 1a on it only. I ran scannow and I was prompted for my Windows XP Pro disk.-this is after re-installing new Service Pack Updates etc..I did use Microsoft Update to upload the recent Service Packs etc. but this command may not be okay to use in this scenario. Please evaluate.

The SP2 may not be properlly integrated with the older operating system Win XP Pro with SP1a disk that I used to re-install and run scannow off of.

System restore was turned ON/OFF/ON about now.

I followed the below steps.
    I turned off the Window Defender Service only.
    I ran Norton Antivirus.-->Clean

I rebooted in SAFE mode.

I ran CWS Shredder and it found CWS.MSCONFIG. I had this fixed. I read later on some sites that this may or may not have been a false positive.

I ran Stinger-Phill( v.11/06) and Stinger v. 2.6.0 from 3/05/06 ----->Clean

I ran Spybot and it found a few firefox cookies...DoubleClick and Avenue A. These were deleted.

I checked my system restore points here and turned it OFF.

I rebooted in SAFE + NETWORK MODE and ran the Trend micro online scans for both Spyware and Housecall----->Nothing found

I re-ran CWS Shredder-----> Nothing found this time

I searched and deleted all *.TEMP and *.tmp files.I deleted Internet cache in IE Explorer 7. I also cleaned system with CCleaner and the Disk Cleaner that comes with Windows.

Adaware was run also but only 1-2 cookies were found and deleted..

I configured my computer MSCONFIG to save the boot file which I saved and I am attaching.

My Help and Support still LOADS slow (but works). Please evaluate my situation. I do not know whether the problem is due to malware, software, hardware, or some combination.

I ran AVG free 7.5 and the vecleaner but nothing was found. I do not think that this is a malware problem.

Thank you for your assistance.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you had a bad drive previously it's possible Windows may have degraded the IDE controller settings to a slower performance in order read the disk.

Here's how you check:

If you open the Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

3. rk233

rk233 Thread Starter

I checked the settings for my IDE ATA/Atapi Primary IDE > Advanced Settings.

Transfer Mode=DMA if available
    Current transfer mode=Ultra DMA Mode 5

Is this the correct setting? What does my bootlog suggest?

I am wondering if the SP2 is properly integrated to my earlier WIN XP Pro SP1a Disk settings. I used Windows Update to re-download everything after my WIN XP was re-installed by experts.

The sfc /scannow should not have had to request to run with my old WIN XP disk.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Those are the correct settings.

Is Help and Support the only "slow" issue? Heck I've always found mine to be rather slow at times as well. And I have a Dell too, but other times -- it may be as quick as 10 seconds.

Can't really tell anything from the bootlog -- it just records drivers being loaded -- not the actual load times. In Win9x -- doggone -- you could get a read of the load time. But are you saying your boot time is abnormally slow? There is a diagnostic utility for this (Bootvis) -- some have had problems with it -- but I never have.

http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/BootVis/4-19687-1.html

All the drivers seemed copacetic, but that's just a superficial look.

I'm going to suggest two things -- one is to answer the questions below, you've already answered some of them -- but this is my full drill for "performance" issues. The other is to try a "clean boot" and see if that makes a difference.

PERFORMANCE QUESTIONS:

0 > when did the problem seem to be begin?
    1 > is it very slow to boot up?
    2 > do programs open slowly?
    3 > does the same behavior occur both on and off the internet. Or with no connection at all?
    4 > does it matter how long the system has been on, and does a restart improve things?

Slow performance issues can often be due to overheating, so if the system is faster after it has been shutdown for a while and then restarted -- that would be especially suspect. To check for possible problems here, shutdown, open the case and blow out any accumulated dust. Then turn it
    on and check to see that the fan is working. Sometimes it helps to physically clean the fan.

If a laptop, check to see that the vent is clear of dust and verify the fan is working. Temps and fan speed can usually be monitored with SpeedFan (except on Dell desktops), a free utility.

5 > if you do a ctrl-alt-del, do any processes show excess cpu usage, other than System Idle Process?

6 > If you open the Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    COMMIT CHARGE

Do ctrl-alt-del to open up the task manager. Select the "performance" tab. Let me know what you see under:

Physical Memory

Total: this is your total installed ram -- "physical" memory
    Available: this is the amt of real "physical" memory presently uncommitted

Commit Charge

Total: this is the combination of total physical and virtual memory currently in use
    Limit: this is the total physical and virtual memory available
    Peak: this is the most you have had in use in this session

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

Attached Files:

5. rk233

rk233 Thread Starter

Here is some background on the situation in response to your question.

PERFORMANCE QUESTIONS:

0 > when did the problem seem to be begin?

The problem seemed to begin late November when after I was infected by a Smitfraud trojan from visiting a malware site from a Google click. I ran Smitfix and should be clean of that per other tech experts.

I did run CHKDSK and SFC /scannow a lot. My Windows XP disk was always asked for.

1 > is it very slow to boot up?

Help and Support takes about 60-80 sec to loadup.

2 > do programs open slowly?

This does not seem to be a probelm with other programs.

3 > does the same behavior occur both on and off the internet. Or with no connection at all?

It does not seem to matter much whether i am connected or not to the internet.

4 > does it matter how long the system has been on, and does a restart improve things?

I do not think so but I will watch for this.

I will try cleaning my fan and see if that helps.

I checked the specs on my taskbar.

PERFORMANCE FROM TASKBAR-----Internet ON

[U]Commit Charge[/U]
    & After Help Support Stabilizes
    Total: 244792-------->2921984
    Limit: 1278676 -------->1278676
    Peak: 333016 -------> 333016

[B]Physical Memory[/B]

& After Help Support Stabilizes
    Total: 523260------->523???
    Available: 210944-------> 191???
    System Cache 344400------->316???

The above was done first with the system at rest. Then after running Help and Support and waiting for it to stabilize.

I ran Help & Support both with the Internet ON & OFF:

In both cases it took about 60 sec to load up and appear on my screen. The main process HepCtr.exe =50 CPU with abt 17,000K-19,000K( at end) Memory usage

Ran Bootvis (Internet ON)
    Checked all settings, applied them, and saved.
    Ran with Boot + Trace
    Ran with Boot + Trace + Driver delay (attached)

Windows Firewall was turned ON & Norton was turned OFF
    Turned off MSConfig Services for Symantec then rebooted

Symantec Event Mgr
    Symantec Internet Security Password Validation
    Symantec Network Proxy
    Symantec Settings Manager
    Liveupdate
    Norton AV Autoprotect Service
    Norton Unerase Protection
    Norton Protection Center Service
    Symantec AV Scan
    Symantec Network Drivers Service
    Symantec SPBBC Service
    Speed Disk Service
    Symantec Core LC

Disabled Startups for:
    CcApp
    Only NvCpl enabled
    Main *.ini system programs kept enabled

Rebooted

Ran Bootvis (Internet OFF) [w/ Norton blocked and disabled
    Ran with Boot + Trace + Driver delay (attached)

Check out this log etc. and I will continue to do a CLEAN INSTALL PER YOUR TECHNIQUE (I realize that I might not have quite followed it above)

Thanks for your assistance.

This is an 88 MB file. How can I send it to you for evaluation?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just see if you can upload a screenshot similar to my own.

However if you are not experiencing abnormal boot delays, it won't be relevant.

If the cleanboot did not help; reenable what you disabled at your convenience. I don't see any issues in what you have posted.

You could try reinstalling help and support.

First look to see if you have the folder c:\windows\servicepackfiles\I386 and look for "pchealth.inf" there

If you right click on that you will see "install" in the menu.

Set a System Restore point before doing this.

You will probably be prompted for your CD.

If you do not have the servicepackfiles version look for pchealth.inf in c:\windows\inf (which is a hidden folder -- enabled through Folder Options > View)

7. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Hi R'R, How about an HJT log to see what's really running ?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can't hurt; the only reason I didn't suggest it is the problem seems pretty narrow.

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

9. rk233

rk233 Thread Starter

I ran Bootvis Trace Boot + Driver Delay with the system settings as normally set.
    In MSCONFIG all services were enabled and Startups just had Norton running -cApp

Rebooted, Saved Trace, Captured Screens:
    1) Bootvis trace with Boot Activity (BA), Driver Delay (DD), Process Creates (PC) (see jpg file attachedment)
    2) Bootvis trace with CPU, Disk I/O (DI), Disk Utilization (DU) (see jpg file attachment)

Then, in MSCONFIG hid Microsoft products & disabled rest:
    Unchecked loadup of Startups
    Selective startup maintained
    [There was also a check in the circle saying using modified boot.ini]
    Rebooted

Ran Help and Support and it was still loading slow

In MSCONFIG I activated a bootlog to be saved....this turned out to be very similar to the earlier one
    Ran Bootvis Trace Boot + Driver Delay, saved, captured screens (2 sets a above)

==========
    I just noticed that my Recycle Bin could not open to retrieve mistakenly deleted files. This may be a glitch as I had both Norton Internet Utilities 2006 installed as well as Norton SystemPro Premiere 2006. I had to make some activation changes last night as when i re-installed it it was not activated and upon re-starting it it suddenly told me to re-activate (I had much trouble had had to call Norton support for a very long adjustment modifying registry values etc). This is now resolved and no longer a issue but I am mentioning it..

I did run the Norton removal program when uninstalling SystemPro as it was too much for the system with Norton Internet Security 2006 on it.. I only re-loaded just 2 components...the Disk Checking program and the WinCheck fix utility. I thought that all of these components were removed but there may be some leftovers.

Do you know how to fix the recycle bin. I can, however, find deleted items by going into its program folder.
    =============================
    I am attaching the files for your evaluattion and will continue checking out the CLEAN install routine. I will then try re-installing PCHealth.

I will post a HJK log so you have a better idea of my system.

Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files:

10. rk233

rk233 Thread Starter

See attachments for Bootvis trace CPU, Disk I/O, and Disk Utiliztion

Attached Files:

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well the Bootvis logs look pretty copacetic to me -- roughly consistent with my own system.

I don't think you have any boot problem.

Confirm you have no more issues with the recycle bin? I don't know how Norton affects it, just how to research their data base.

My all in one fix for most recycle bin problems is to delete the bin using a command line and reboot. If the problem was caused by some file or index corruption -- that usually resolves it.

12. rk233

rk233 Thread Starter

Following is a HJK log. I activated ALL services and startup programs so you can see everything.

Normally, I have re-set my Startup programs to load only the Norton -cApp in Selective startup mode. (The others may not be necessary to load on startup)

I have enabled all services too. There are many services that I probably do not need.

I presently use Optonline cable internet service (Netsurf?) so I can probably delete all AOL enabled services. I no longer use aol but I keep the browser to view old messages.

Please let me know how I should modify this. Also, do I need to make any additional changes in the services.msc?

Thanks again.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 2:20:57 AM, on 2/9/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Optimum Online\Netsurf.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPSHAR~1\hpgs2wnf.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\MMDiag.exe
    C:\Program Files\Palm\HotSync.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet 7100 series\Bin\hpogrp07.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mim.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\AiO\Shared\Bin\hpoevm07.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\analyze.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hpoipm07.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOSTS07.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOFXM07.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.optonline.net/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = www.optonline.net
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 168.94.74.68:8080
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UIUCU] C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\UIUCU.EXE -CLEAN_UP -S
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCCareCApp] C:\Program Files\PCCare\Client\capp.exe -r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Optimum Online net guide] "C:\Program Files\Optimum Online\Netsurf.exe" -trayicon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\mimboot.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Synchronizer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AdobeCollabSync.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\HotSync.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HPAiODevice(hp officejet 7100 series) - 1.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet 7100 series\Bin\hpogrp07.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1170353103046
    O16 - DPF: {B49C4597-8721-4789-9250-315DFBD9F525} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalcity.com/radio/ampx/ampx2.6.1.11_en_dl.cab
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton UnErase Protection (NProtectService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: PCCare Premium - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\PCCare\Client\srvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hijackthis scanlogs do not show by default MS services. I hope you haven't enabled them all.

There is no "malware" in the scanlog; optimization will probably not improve the Help file loading since something is amiss there. If after reinstalling it, it still delays -- I have some "geeky" tools that can be used for real-time monitoring of registry and file access. Sometimes they can help identify where an application is hanging. I think you are probably up to using them.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformationUtilities.mspx

As for MS services, here is a link that will help you optimize those and disable unnecessary services.

http://smallvoid.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

14. rk233

rk233 Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

I went to the Systernals site and there is a long list of programs there. I would not know which would be best for me.What do you suggest?

Autoruns is very complex...I would need better guidance to use it as their help instructions are lacking. I need something to tell me what should not be in my registry & what such keys should really be replaced with. I do not believe in fix programs that just say "delete" registry key.

I have gained some computer knowledge from visiting sites such as Spywarewarriors.com, MajorGeeks.com, Tom Coyote, and PC World on-line among others. I have downloaded a number of utilites from these sites based on reading some of their tech reviews and recommendations.

I think I got Spybot, IE-Spy-AD, SpyBlaster Windows Defender among others from Spywarewarrior. I have gotton FILEMON, Autoruns, Processs Explorer, Processlibrary.com (scan), and some Uniblue utilities from reviews read on PCWorld and link etc. from the above sites. (I think that these are reliable sources for downloading & I should thus have a low risk from getting malware if I stick to these)

I have used Filemon a bit so I re-downloaded it (lost it when my hardrive failed) and I ran it and let it stabilize. I then filtered out all programs running then so I had a clear display. I started Filemon and had it log all items until the Help started up that did not have SUCCESS noted under one of the tab columns. It seems like a number of dll's, paths are missing. Many NOT FOUND ITEMS(I am attaching this log)

I tried re-installing Help and Support per your instructions. I was prompted for my Windows XP disk several times whereby the dialog desired to access certain files that were not in their prompt location. I had to do a search to find their paths on C: drive and correct it in the dialog browser. I had to do this several times for the following files:

dataspec.xml,
    pchdt_w3.cab -Not on C: drive :confused:
    HCAppRes.dll,
    atrace.dll

Still a very slow startup...this re-install did not correct the problem.

ServicePack Install Log

I found this log file and it seems like the ServicePack may not have installed properly or completely even though Microsoft Update reads my system as having SP2.

For example,

At 426.141 GetCatVersion : Failed to retrieve info from C:\Windows\system32\catroot

800.937 VerifySize: Unable to verify size C:\Windows\DriverCache\i386\sp2.cab

993.125 GetCatVersion: Failed to retrieve version info from C:\Windows\* (many paths then listed in a long list for *)

I think the problem may be with the scannow use and the fact it does not have SP2 integrated properly from this function (using my XP disk) and from the Microsoft Windows Updates downloaded on-line.. Some registry keys etc must be incorrect.

I have checked out the following links re: SP2, the Windows File Checker, scannow, and re-installing XP to integrate SP2. Please evaluate this.

How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP installation folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900871/

Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows (manual install)
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Autostreamer 1.0.33 (automatic install)
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

[These last 2 I got from Gizmo Richards' Column through a link on PCWorld. (Best programs, perhaps)]

Windows XP SP2 download site
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

I'm not familiar with the above programs or methods to re-install Windows XP with SP2. I think older Windows XP computers need to be re-installed differently to get the updates and SP2 and Microsoft Update may not be the answer. {This dilemma is why I hired the professionals to do the re-install}

Attached Files:

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, you've asked for quite a bit of feedback there and I can only respond to some of it.
    With respect to Sysinternals, the utilities I find most useful in general are Process Explorer, FileMon and Regmon.

I do not recommend Autoruns as itsmisuse can result in an unbootable computer -- although there are some rare times when it can be used to test disable certain registry entries that are not otherwise conveniently testable.

If you have reinstalled your version of Windows and are concerned about "failures" in the log -- do not be if the install completed successfully. You will always find some.

Now on the Filemon log -- I was hoping you might be able to spot some particular area where it hangs.

Yes you do have a lot of "not found" messages -- so do I when I run mine.

However here is one that is a bit peculiar:

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\serwvdrv.dll

This file is "not found" in both your log and mine in THAT location.

However in mine it also looks for the dll in the system32 directory and DOES find it. I don't know if this is an issue -- I don't even see it looking there in yours. If you have the file in the system32 directory you might try placing it also in the "Binaries" directory. It doesn't appear really cricital to Help and Support since it is a "unimodem wave driver"

By the way, when Help and Support does finally open -- is it the Dell branded version or the MS version?

The best way to reinstall XP SP2 is with the CD -- available from Microsoft if you don't have one.

Let me know what I've left out here that you consider important.

For what it's worth, I've uploaded a Filemon log from my own system with just the "help*" entries logged. So large I had to zip it. Help opened in seconds.

>>> If you run helpctr.exe directly, not from the Start menu, does it open faster?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice