1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows XP Display Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kyozoku, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyozoku

kyozoku Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm not even sure how to describe this problem, but I'll give it my best shot. In a nutshell, all my text/font display settings seem to have changed.

I downloaded a freeware program today called avi2dvd, to convert avi video files to iso files for burning to DVD. I tried it out, got frustrated with it, and uninstalled it. After I uninstalled it, I went to check my email. That's when I first noticed that all the text in my yahoo email account had changed - it seemed smaller and chunkier, like it was at a lower resolution.

I clicked on a few more pages and it was the same for all of them - the text was just not as...smooth. Not as readable. And definitely smaller. It's not just a font size thing, I'm not that much of a newbie, I tried enlarging the font and it's definitely a resolution thing, not just a font or size issue.

Then I tried out some other programs, and found out that the problem was system-wide. I use a writing program called Final Draft, and the text in that is also less readable.

Now here's the weird part. In trying out different programs to make sure it was a system-wide problem, I found one program that hadn't been affected: IE. Crazily enough, all my web pages display fine in Explorer. Go figure.

So yeah, I don't know what else I can tell you. It's driving me nuts, and any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

What program did you use to download this program with?

Where did you download it from?

Do you have the computer recovery disk set?

3. kyozoku

kyozoku Thread Starter

It was just a direct link to the download. I checked out the file with a google, it seemed like fairly popular freeware that didn't have any links to spyware. It's available all over the web, but I got it from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Avi2Dvd.htm

And no, unfortunately I don't have the recovery disk. I hope that doesn't screw me too much.

Thank you!

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

First thing I would like you to do is contact the manufacturer of your computer which is Gateway and order the recovery disk software for thsi computer eventually you are going to need it.

second I think that re-installing the video driver for the video card would probably solve the problem and try to see if there is a newer one on the Gateway web site, the install from that should not call for the recovery disk.

Also check the Gateway manual to see if there is a recovery partition on the hard drive and if there is anyway to make a recovery DVD or CD-R from it, if there is this saves you a bit of bucks and time.

5. kyozoku

kyozoku Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll definitely contact them for a recovery disk set.

To reinstall the video driver, do I just uninstall it from the device manager and then will I be able to re-install it the same way?

I'll look at the manual as well.

Thanks...

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

removed the link it was broken - by ozrom1e

7. kyozoku

kyozoku Thread Starter

Oops! Broken link.

8. kyozoku

kyozoku Thread Starter

There is a drive - "D:" - on my computer labelled "Recovery", though.

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Sorry about the broken link I have removed it from my database.

Ok that is the first part of the recovery disk if Gateway will have something that tells you how to make the recovery disk this is either in th manual for the computer or on the Gateway site so if there is a way then just follow the procedure and you are all set.

10. kyozoku

kyozoku Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, I've solved it by doing a "System Restore". I was overdue for one anyway and I'm very pleased by the speed and quick startup of my system now...and my graphics are back to normal.

Thanks very much for your help!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice