1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows XP error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TONITOPSON, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TONITOPSON

TONITOPSON Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to reinstall my win XP bt at some point, I receive this message " setup cannot copythe file : smlgcfgP.clm". Can somebody help me please ?
    thanks
    TT:mad::mad::confused:

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

This will be due to either a dirty CD, faulty RAM, faulty hard drive or faulty CD drive.

Make sure the disc is clean and free of scratches, if it is scratched you may have to use another CD.

Run a lens cleaner through the CD drive.

Run a test on the Hard Drive as follows:
    Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.
    =================================================================
    Download Memtest86+ from here
    If you wish to run the test from a USB flash drive use this link Auto installer for USB key
    When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
    Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Testing

• Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence.
    • Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.
    • Leave the test to run through at least 8 passes or until it is showing some errors.
    • If errors show in the test, stop the test and remove all but one of your RAM sticks then start the test again. Repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty.

NOTE: This is a long slow test and for convenience should ideally be run overnight.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.
    ==================================================================

You could also try removing one of the RAM sticks and then try the install again, if it still fails swap the sticks and try again.

3. TONITOPSON

Thanks Mark. It has been a mountain to climb but it did helped me to sort my problem. You're a star. This forum needs people like you.
    Thanks once again buddy.
    TOPSON

(y)

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're most welcome. What did you find to be the cause?

5. TONITOPSON

It was the cd That were faulty. I changed it and it worked but the problem I'm facing now is that It looks like my PC doesn't have service pack 1. I can't install service pack 2 or 3 as it asks for service pack 1. it woud be great if you knew how I could sort this out also.
    Great thanks mate(y)(y)(y)(y)(y):):):)

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

No problem, go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389 click on Preparation and it will give you the link to download SP1a which you need to install first. After that there is also a link on the page to download SP3. You do not need to install SP2 as well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice