Solved: windows xp firewall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mountainlion

Hi everyone,i'm a new member,first post looking for some answers please.Iv'e got mcafee security,I wanted to know,should you still keep windows firewall going and stick with the one,or should i have both going,also i wanted to know which progams of files i can deselect from the start-up,some ,i dont no what they are,thanks.

Everything I've read says to use only one firewall, otherwise software conflicts can (and do) occur. I had conflicts with my Norton and Windows firewalls and also the Zonealarm and Windows firewalls. I don't know about those McAfee files, though.

mountainlion

reba said:
Everything I've read says to use only one firewall, otherwise software conflicts can (and do) occur. I had conflicts with my Norton and Windows firewalls and also the Zonealarm and Windows firewalls. I don't know about those McAfee files, though.
Thanks,will wait to hear some more before i do anything.

Does the McAfee have a firewall too? I have Norton and when it's installed the windows firewall turns off. It isn't a good idea to have both running and usually the firewalls you buy are better then the windows built in one anyways. But if it's just a virus protection program then keep the windows firewall on. Also if it came with your computer the McAfee one might expire in a few months so keep you eye on it,

Here is a site that will give you the information about start -up items, and what should be deselected in msconfig. Its fast and easy to use --lists items in alfa order.
Just scroll till you find item {exactly} and then click it . A description of what the item is will pop--up , and whether it is needed.
I like it because its faster to use than some.
http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM

I would think one firewall is enough. >f

mountainlion

Yes the mcafee has a firewall but my windows firewall is on as well,obviously i can turn the windows one off if i wanted but i haven't had any problems with them both running.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online