Solved: Windows XP Hangs very often.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lynxie

Hi,

My computer often hangs whenever I play games.
After it hangs for 3 times, my monitor will go black and the yellow light will bleep and it will restart by itself.
This annoys me very much as I play games a lot.
I've checked for viruses,trojan,ad-aware,spyware etc.
I used Ad-aware,SpyBot,PC Doctor and all of it says I'm clean.

Any help would be appreciated :) Thx

lynxie

Ahh,talking about that.
I currently have two 256mb DDR RAM,all together I'm suppose to have 512mb ram.
But,when I checked it only says I have 256 ram.
Any idea what should I do?

lynxie

It's nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Btw,how do you boot to DOS-Mode with XP?

lynxie said:
Ahh,talking about that.
I currently have two 256mb DDR RAM,all together I'm suppose to have 512mb ram.
But,when I checked it only says I have 256 ram.
Any idea what should I do?
is this a new computer, if so return it before doing anything that will void the warranty.

maybe one of your 256's is bad or incompatable?
i would open up the case and visually check to see that they are both installed properly.
but that's just me, if your not comfortable have a tech or experienced friend help.

outside of the not recognizing the ram thing....have you defraged and cleaned up your temp. files lately?

lynxie

t bone said:
is this a new computer?
maybe one of your 256's is bad or incompatable?
i would open up the case and visually check to see that they are both installed properly.
but that's just me, if your not comfortable have a tech or experienced friend help.
No,this is an old computer.
I've opened up the case and I've reinstalled both the RAM and still it is showing 256mb RAM.
I suspect it has to do with BIOS(I read somewhere about this).I tried to update it but :rolleyes: I can't figure out how to get to DOS with XP.I need to backup 1st my current BIOS incase anything goes wrong.I've use a floppy disk to get to DOS,but it won't load at DOS.Guess I did something wrong there.

maybe we can get someone that has more knowledge to jump in here and help
i'd hate to give you some bad advise in that situation.

if it's only hung on games, then i thinks it is a matter of graphics card problem.
try to update the driver from nVIDIA web site.
and about RAM, are you sure you have it 265 , not 128 each ?
if so, try to swap the chips.

lynxie

abudahim said:
if it's only hung on games, then i thinks it is a matter of graphics card problem.
try to update the driver from nVIDIA web site.
and about RAM, are you sure you have it 265 , not 128 each ?
if so, try to swap the chips.
I'll try to update my driver later on.
As for the RAM,I'm very sure it is 256mb each.
I think i should mention this before,a few weeks ago,my CPU broke down.After sending it to be fixed,the RAM turned to 256mb.Before that,it always shows as 512mb.

lynxie said:
I'll try to update my driver later on.
As for the RAM,I'm very sure it is 256mb each.
I think i should mention this before,a few weeks ago,my CPU broke down.After sending it to be fixed,the RAM turned to 256mb.Before that,it always shows as 512mb.
then if you can, check your ram chips in another PC.

lynxie

Haha,ok I've solved the RAM problem.The thing that I did was I open the casing and unplug both of the RAM.Then,I brush off the dust on it and plug it in back.At first,the monitor won't turn on and it was all black and the CPU was making a *beep* *beep* sound.Then, I switch slot both of the RAM and voila! The computer detected both of the RAM and now I have a 512mb RAM ..(y) Therefore,I think the problem with it was it has dust on it and that made it undetectable..Now,I'm going to test if I'll hung again if I play games .To t-bone and abudahim,thanks for all the help. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online