1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I had a thread earlier and forgot to ask a couple of questions.

I was told I could take a hard drive from a windows 98 computer and the person is buying a new Windows xp so I can hook up the win 98 hard drive as a slave to the new computer with win xp so I can drop and drag or cut and past files that they want off the 98 hard drive put on their new computer.

Now If their new computer with the win xp on it, if there is an ide cable going to the hard drive and nothing else then I can hook up the win 98 hard drive to the same ide cable as a slave and no problem.

However if the windows xp computer has the hard drive on the ide cable and also the cd-rom then is it ok just to hook up another ide cable to their mother board and hook the hard drive from the windows 98 computer on the end of that ide cable as the master? and by turning the computer off, and then hooking up the hard drive and then turning the computer back on it should reconize the windows 98 hard drive in my computer right away right?

If I would have to put the windows 98 hard drive in the new computer on a seperate ide cable is it ok to have it as master? cause the hard drive that is already in it would be master to but it would be on a different ide cable.

I am hoping the new computer just has the hard drive on an ide cable by itself so I can just hook the other one up as a slave and get the files and be done with it.

How ever if someone could give me a couple or three scenario's with ide cables and hooking this up I would be very much appreciatetive.

It would be a new computer with windows xp home or pro and wanting to hook up a hard drive from an old computer with windows 98 to get the files off from it. Thanks

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Yes - you understand it correctly

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Yes I have made 4 or 5 contributions and will be making more. Thank a bunch for your help. I will always keep making contributions to this site. It is the most helpful site I have found and good people. Thanks again

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I will close this thread

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice